• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE timing cover remove and reseal...14 hours?

That labor time is actually correct as according to the book in order to do the timing cover and associated parts/gaskets/seals you have to pull the head/and oil pan according to Toyota. Than being said you can do it without head removal as we all know. We do these all the time at my shop but we dont charge the full labor price according to the time guide as we dont pull the head or oil pan unless they leak. I am assuming they are doing it according to the way The factory recomends, or that your oil pan and head gasket are also leaking. Before you listen to all these knuckleheads on here you might ask the shop what is specifically leaking so you know what has to be done. A guy can do it at home, but when you have to pay 75+ an hour in shop labor it adds up. If you can get one of these Yahoo's to do it for a case of beer take them up on it, or pay the man.:;

Indeed. While he's in there, oh look the rear main is leaking and your kanooter valve next to the split flange is bad. That's a motor pull right there...

If you guys owned a shop and actually had overhead you would be viewing this differently. If he was one of my customers I would definetly give him a quote without pulling the head or oil pan.

If you guys owned a shop and actually had overhead you would be viewing this differently. If he was one of my customers I would definetly give him a quote without pulling the head or oil pan.

And none of us waste the money at a shop that's going to attempt to charge twelve hundred fawking dollars to swap out a timing cover. Yea it'd be great money, have it fixed before lunch time so you can go onto fleecing other customers. :flipoff:

without a lot more info I can't fully understand or explain this.

But I get people coming to me with 1,200 dollar T-chain quotes and 4,500 hundred dollar engine replacement quotes all the time. Shops charge it. But when you have 5,000 dollar leases and a lot of overhead they have to.

The question is why and what is actually leaking.

Front main seals leak all the time on Toyotas. A lot of time the dampener is warn and just replacing the seal wont fix it, or it will come back soon.

The front cover almost never leaks unless some hack was in there before.

Also it's hard to get everything to seal up if you only pull the front cover. If I'm changing the T-chain I personally always pull the engine and at least pull the pan off to clean out the chunks and such.

But if you have just a small leak, try to shop around for a "back yard" mechanic that doesn't seem to be a total idiot. Most are but you can find decent people that work at a shop and also do side work from their house.

I bet you're still looking at a couple hundo and the risk is way higher.

Oh and finally it's not even kinda as easy as a tune up. Especially if you don't turn wrench a lot. And getting it RIGHT is way different than just getting it done !!

Good luck

:hi:
Patrick

or try this.

Spend 5 bucks at the car wash, preasure wash the hell out of the front of the engine, Bring a screw driver in case you get water in your cap.

And then drive it for a day. look where the leak is coming from. And if it really is the front cover. Try tightening the bolts a little.

But I have a quarter that says someone cracked the front cover by over tightening the top bolt or the dampener is warn out making the front main seal leak.

:corn:

Yeah, but you don't have to make up for all of the overhead off of one customer. That's how shops rape ya.

My buddy has been to two different shops, twice each, for issues with his car. They replaced sensors, coilpacks, vaccum lines........and it turns out that it was only the computer. A company upgraded his computer, and screwed it all up. It took a third mechanic one look to figure it out. Now my friend is into his car over$2000 in repairs, when it was as simple as resetting the computer to stock.:rolleyes:

That shop has done this kind of thing before. My gas gage quit working and they wanted $300 in labor plus $100 in parts to repair. I got online and got the sending unit from 1st Toyota Parts for about $75 and put it in myself during spring break. So instread of $400 it was $75 plus my time.

Yeah, but you don't have to make up for all of the overhead off of one customer. That's how shops rape ya.

My buddy has been to two different shops, twice each, for issues with his car. They replaced sensors, coilpacks, vaccum lines........and it turns out that it was only the computer. A company upgraded his computer, and screwed it all up. It took a third mechanic one look to figure it out. Now my friend is into his car over$2000 in repairs, when it was as simple as resetting the computer to stock.:rolleyes:

Pic your shop wisely then. Just because someone works at a shop, doesn't mean they should work on vehicles:awesomework:

X2. We do lots of these repairs. If it's ONLY a timing chain job or the timing cover leaking, I definitely bid it at WAY WAY less than book time and explain the differences to the customer. If there's any signs of oil pan leaking or head gasket seepage, etc... I give the customer the option.

But I have a quarter that says someone cracked the front cover by over tightening the top bolt or the dampener is warn out making the front main seal leak.

:corn:

I am chasing a oil leak on a 22r. how does one tell if the cover is cracked by over tighting the top bolt?? you are talking about the one under the cam bolt

Working on other peoples ****

End up getting married to it !Don't cut the corners I can tell Trainwreck/Whitetrash is the only one that knows what there talking about .I have over 40 22 r overhauls under my belt with 2 come backs learn something new each time....
DON'T cut corners Do it the right way the 1St time.:;

If you want to do it your self save money, If u own a yota learn how to work on it or u will go broke quick.If you lived around tacoma id help u out but sounds like your on the East side!:booo:

GOOD LUCK Timing cover & seal done right I charge $300 as long as u buy new timing chain <Delta cam> hardened guides set $90. I have all gaskets, Seating the timing cover to block to head is criticle .:corn::beer::D just my 02 cents..

Last edited: