• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

22RE timing cover remove and reseal...14 hours?

Glenn

So my truck is leaking oil in the front and the local wrench turner that I use says 14.0 hours of labor and $1250.

I can't afford that right now and don't know if it is worth fixing for that amount.

Is this legit? The number of hours? 1989 Toyota with 22RE.

Hmm let me put this to you easy.

They are trying to **** you stright in the ass without even letting you take your jeans off first. No lube, not even a dribble of spit to ease your pain.

It is a very easy job to do, it'll take about 3-4 hours if you take a lunch break.

You can replace the whole fawking engine for $1250. :haha:

I'm living in an apartment and can't do that here. My friend's dad would probably let me work in his shop, but I don't have the time right now. It would take me a lot more than 3-4 hours because I'm not that skilled.

Honestly if you can do a tune up you can replace the timing cover. It really is simple. Where is it leaking? Is it leaking under the oil pump or from the timing cover seal? Either of those are super common leaks and really easy to fix.

holy crap $1250??! Where's this thing leaking at??! Anything on the front of the motor is cake to deal with, christ you could do it in the alley...

Here's a cell phone pic I took this morning. Aren't you exaggerating a tiny bit about it being as easy as a tune-up? I think he said both the oil pump and timing chain cover.

Last edited:
If it's just the front seal all you have to do is loosen the belts, pull the coil wire, put a 19mm socket on the crank bolt and rest the breaker bar on the frame and hit the key. Instant bolt removal... Now slide the balancer off and replace the seal underneath. Now tighten the belts and the crank pulley and reinstall the coil wire and you're done. Seriously you could probable replace the seal in the drive through line at starbucks on a monday morning... :redneck:

My money says there are several people in that area that'd be happy to help you out for a bit of cash... If you were closer I'd do it for a case of beer. :D

That labor time is actually correct as according to the book in order to do the timing cover and associated parts/gaskets/seals you have to pull the head/and oil pan according to Toyota. Than being said you can do it without head removal as we all know. We do these all the time at my shop but we dont charge the full labor price according to the time guide as we dont pull the head or oil pan unless they leak. I am assuming they are doing it according to the way The factory recomends, or that your oil pan and head gasket are also leaking. Before you listen to all these knuckleheads on here you might ask the shop what is specifically leaking so you know what has to be done. A guy can do it at home, but when you have to pay 75+ an hour in shop labor it adds up. If you can get one of these Yahoo's to do it for a case of beer take them up on it, or pay the man.:;

This shop charges $90 an hour. He did say timing cover specifically. I do know the front main seal is easy to do. I am sure he is going by the book and makes his money off his crack team of techs who can do the job in less time. I also know the cover was off without all the assocaited removals when the t-chain was done.

Last edited:
That labor time is actually correct as according to the book in order to do the timing cover and associated parts/gaskets/seals you have to pull the head/and oil pan according to Toyota. Than being said you can do it without head removal as we all know. We do these all the time at my shop but we dont charge the full labor price according to the time guide as we dont pull the head or oil pan unless they leak. I am assuming they are doing it according to the way The factory recomends, or that your oil pan and head gasket are also leaking. Before you listen to all these knuckleheads on here you might ask the shop what is specifically leaking so you know what has to be done. A guy can do it at home, but when you have to pay 75+ an hour in shop labor it adds up. If you can get one of these Yahoo's to do it for a case of beer take them up on it, or pay the man.:;

Head, meet nail....:awesomework:

No doubt the book calls for that much labor but the odds of a mechanic actually pulling the head is about zilch. I say the guy should be arrested for attempted rape for quoting the job that high...