• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

231 v6 in my 98 tj

The only 1 ton toyota to ever hit these shores was the 2 wheel drive that used the same shoes as the standard 4x4. The ****tards at napa don't know ****, lemme guess they looked up that awesome info in a computer didn't they?

When I worked at a napa store I found all sorts of retarded things in the computer system. Apparently the biggest gas engine ever installed in a 80's chevy truck was a 402, and engine used only in the early 70's to burn up old 396 blocks by punching them .030" over and calling them the 402 hyfire. :haha: I found a pile of other issues in the system but that one sticks out in my head since the manager and I went rounds over it on my second day at the store.

Doesn't matter if Napa agrees with you or not!!! Your plan of taking stock toyota axles and putting them under a coil sprung jeep is DUMB! The 80s have past and so have mini monster trucks:mad:

Holy crap man. I spent all that time putting chevy half ton brakes on a front dana 60. That sucks, now I have half ton axles. Damn I'm so pissed off at myself right now.

The point is the guy possibly upgraded the brakes, so what. Your missing the fact that there are a lot of Toyota guys on this site with "real world knowledge " not internet knowledge or Napa know how.
Listen, ask questions clearly and you will get good info

I did not know what axle ,brakes or any information really about the axle. When the wheel cylinder went out I took it apart ,could not get the wheel cylinder out from between the backing plate and the axle so I unbolted the four bolts and pulled the axle out of the rear end.when I took it down to Napa they matched up the wheel cylinder with a one ton wheel cylinder the 1/2 ton is different .we measured the brake shoes at almost 2 1/4 inches wide and my drum is a 10 inch drum.now like I said in the past I'm not a mechanic .I came here wanting to find some information and I got nothing but a bunch of crap because of my bad spelling and missed terminology.and in all the bullshit everybody seems to have messed that I bought the truck from the the gentleman that had it built in the late 80s. It was built at Lynnwood four-wheel-drive off-road they put the 231 V6 and a turbo 350 transmission and Toyota straight axle's. Now I was told it had an aluminum block which it doesn't also in the list he gave me of all that's was done it said it had one Ton truck gears,now I don't know I'm not a mechanic .The guy that had the truck built lived about six blocks from my house when I was in high school, I remember when the truck came home brand-new I know he didn't drive it much and it was worth buying just for the motor alone.I can post more pictures of the axle but I don't think the outsides going to tell me or anybody exactly what it really is.my 98 Jeep Wrangler motor is toast so since I don't really like the little pick up all that much and only got it for the motor seems to me like that motor would be great in my jeep. Now I can either get a adapter plate and use the motor and transmission and my Jeeps transaxle and stay with my Jeeps axles or use the motor tranny transaxle and Toyota axles from the truck (Because it was built to all go together) and put them in my jeep.the reason is I have all the donor parts to do the swap I'm not rich so going out and buying all brand-new parts right now is not really an option

Shag.

So does this mean my 14 bolt is now only a 1/2 ton axle because of the 1/2 disc brakes I installed? So should I upgrade to a toyota axle with "one ton gears" to replace the 14 bolt or just reinstall the drum breaks?

Now that's the exact kind of a ****ing reply I've been getting from everybody. The Does this mean my ****ing this in my ****ing that mean ****ing this that's a bunch of **** .I don't need that kind of a reply I'm merely asking a simple couple ****ing questions. So if is all you have is that kind of a ****ing reply keep your replies to yourself if you actual are knowledgeable then please go ahead and leave some good information for somebody that wants to learn something that they can actually use if not **** off.and pay attention when I say I've been told this is what something is I don't know for sure how can I find out. And when you respond with ridicule and a bunch of crap it's not really answering a question so I'm still trying to find out the right answers.

So for all you Toyota drivers if I post a picture of the rear end where you going to know what it is. Not necessarily what gears are inside but what was the rear end out of. If so I'll be glad to send you a bit

Post a pic of the rear axle more specifically an overall shot and a pic of the spring perch and backing plate. I can ID what you have from that.

http://
n66yyu.jpg

You, my friend, have a set of Toyota mini-truck axles. Looking at the second to last pic of the front axle show a reinforced housing which means it's around an '83-'85. I can't remember exactly what years started that reinforcement. The reason you're getting so much crap is you state you know nothing but are arguing that these are "one ton axles or gears." Here's a secret for you, these are not one ton axles and there is no such thing as one ton gears for them. So shut your yap about that and maybe the ridicule will decrease.

PS-The main difference in the rear occurred in '86 when toy went IFS and made the rear wider and the housing tubes a larger diameter and I believe the drums a bit bigger. This still doesn't make them one tons but please tell me again about the one ton gears.

Last edited:
You, my friend, have a set of Toyota mini-truck axles. Looking at the second to last pic of the front axle show a reinforced housing which means it's around an '83-'85. I can't remember exactly what years started that reinforcement. The reason you're getting so much crap is you state you know nothing but are arguing that these are "one ton axles or gears." Here's a secret for you, these are not one ton axles and there is no such thing as one ton gears for them. So shut your yap about that and maybe the ridicule will decrease.

PS-The main difference in the rear occurred in '86 when toy went IFS and made the rear wider and the housing tubes a larger diameter and I believe the drums a bit bigger. This still doesn't make them one tons but please tell me again about the one ton gears.

Yup generic solid axle era (79-95 in the USA) axles. The rears are all the same, as I said the 4x4 uses the same brake shoes as the 1 ton 2WD rear axle.

The gusset didn't appear until 80. From 80-83 it went to the u bolts. 84 and 85 got a longer gusset that went all the way passed the u bolts to the end of the tube.

In the IFS era (86-95 in the USA) the rear axle is 3" wider, the drums are 11" instead of 10".

And yes, the biggest reason the tew is getting **** is because he's standing up saying everything the idiot that bank rolled this hoopty told his is the gospel and we are all dumb. Sorry but the guy made **** up or was just too busy flapping his cock holster to know he was ignorant.

He said it had an aluminum block and a magnet disproved that. Yet it simply MUST have 1 ton gears because he said it did? Really? :haha:

Oh yea, take that axle back out of the housing and put the poor thing it correctly will ya? The lever for the e brake goes on the back of the housing not under it. :redneck:

It's probably indexed that way because you can't run the parking brake cable thru the springs...:redneck:

Latest posts