• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

30spline long install Q

altron32

so my brother and I installed new six shooter knuckles, and 30spline longs over the weekend.

we reinstalled all front end parts with new seals, and grease, got it all together, and went to install the hub snap rings, and it was a little tough to install(axle seemed like it wouldn't come out enough) so we got them on, put the hubs on. then locked them in, and went to spin the axle......

tight as **** to turn, with 37's. so we preceded to just give it a test drive on the gravel drive way, all seemed ok but the front end was creaking/squeaking really bad.

so **** what is wrong?? great lets bring it back in, and tear it all apart, see what we ****ed up.

found both shafts rubing on the backs of the brass spindle bushings(that are new from trailgear)

so we said **** it and installed some old worn spindles with stock bushings.
got it all together, and now the wheels spin like they should when locked in.

but it still makes that weird squeak/creaking when driving.

what the **** did we do wrong??:mad:

they dont hit at all, seems that the new 30splines dont need any grinding.
we did the check from bobbylongs install.

unless we did it wrong, its possible:mad:

they dont hit at all, seems that the new 30splines dont need any grinding.
we did the check from bobbylongs install.

unless we did it wrong, its possible:mad:

Did you take the birfs OFF the inner axles?

Did YOU install the birfs on the inner axles?

squeak/creak? Does it do it at the same point a particular spot of the tire hits the road surface?

Take the birfs OFF the inner axles and install the birf and spindle without an inner axle. Dont assemble anymore.

Then rotate the birf and feel for any resistance. Do this as you run the knuckle thru its range of motion (steering).

If its tight and rough felling its time to mark and grind the inner ball for room.

If it rolls smooth and free then the problem is with the length of the whole axle shaft assembly. 99 percent of the time its the inner clip has been mashed and is inside the birf cage not letting the inner axle seat all the way.

PLEASE, the next time drivetrain wont roll by HAND,,,,,

DONT FAWKING DRIVE IT. Its not gonna help, just score and bur and ruin parts.

A shaft with interference/damage marks is not covered by a warranty most times too.

I was going moreso for maybe a loose wheel, wheel bearing, or something along those lines...
Did it make any noise before the Long swap?

it made no noise before, all new bearings, that are tight, set the knuckles at 13lb pull. when i say drive, i mean double low first gear crawl for maby 50yards just listen for any noises.

and when we pulled it apart the first time, the birffs seemed fine, no marks of anykind in the knuckle, so not sure if we need to grind.

the axle has a good arb third with 5.29's. the shafts drop right in to them with no issues, the birffs seem to clear going in to the knuckles just fine, dont think the housing is tweaked at all.

after we swaped out the spindles, all seemed great, things turned liked normal, no tight spots. thought it was good, but still makes that noise.

Last edited: