• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

350 wiring questions

JPTHING

SBC wiring questions

I am stuck wiring my SBC. To start it off, it is a 1974 SBC, with a TBI setup off of a 198? Camaro with a 305(BTW the chip is already burned to work for what I have). The wiring harness is from Affordable fuel injection, which includes the bare minimum to make it run. This is being installed into a 1989 Comanche which had a 4cyl. So what I need to know is, what do the 1&2 wires on the alternator connect to?? For the distributor, it has 3 wires on a flat female pin connector instead of blade connector. I am trying to hook it up to a HEI distributor. So what goes where? Do I need any part of the existing ECM and related wiring?

Last edited:
Of everyone on here no-one knows answers to my questions? Don't make me go to Pirate, they are mean over there. I guess I need to buy a manual.

regarding the alt ...

The #1 terminal is for the dash warning light. When the alt/regulator goes bad this terminal will go to ground, so wire a lamp in series to a +12v switched.

The #2 terminal goes to +12v. Best place is at the junction terminal.

(just found this very good pic)
AlternatorWiringOverview-1973to1985Buick.jpg

regarding the alt ...

The #1 terminal is for the dash warning light. When the alt/regulator goes bad this terminal will go to ground, so wire a lamp in series to a +12v switched.

The #2 terminal goes to +12v. Best place is at the junction terminal.

(just found this very good pic)
AlternatorWiringOverview-1973to1985Buick.jpg

Very helpful

Thanks

does the 3-pin female connector connect to the distributor cap? The part on the cap with connections "battery, tach, ground" (i'm pretty sure one is ground but that might be wrong).

What does the wiring diagram from AFI say that the wires are that go to the 3-pin female connector? let me know and I'll try to help you out

does the 3-pin female connector connect to the distributor cap? The part on the cap with connections "battery, tach, ground" (i'm pretty sure one is ground but that might be wrong).

What does the wiring diagram from AFI say that the wires are that go to the 3-pin female connector? let me know and I'll try to help you out

I lost the wiring diagram, otherwise I would know. Actually it is a 4 pin female connector. It does go to the distributor, but a HEI distributor is a blade connector. I am not sure but I think it is for a MSD distributor. If anyone knows if a MSD distributor is a pin connector please let me know. With the help so far and the wiring diagram for the Comanche, I am pretty close. So I appreciate the help.

here's the link to the installation instructions for a TBI setup from AFI:

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/download.php?id=61

Let me know if the link doesn't work but it should. Page 8 talks about the distributor connection and page 16 has the wiring pin-out. Let me know which colors/pins the wires on your harness correspond to (for example B-3 is a Black/White wire for distributor ground). From that you or I should be able to firgure out which wires you need to hook up for your distributor (like I said on your distributor there should be power, tach, ground connections... let me know if there are more). Then once you know which wires you need to hook up, just cut off the connector and splice on the blade type connectors and hook it up.

So after looking at the stock distributor, I found that the 4 pin plug fit right in, and the distributor has 1 other plug with 2 pins. So I am assuming that I will probably need to use the stock distributor, and find a stock coil.