• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

39.5 iroks vs toyota drivetrain

oldbeercans

so im trying to decide on were to go as far as tires. im locked f/r 5.29, dual cases, 4cyl., and fairly conservative right foot. im looking for a tire around 38" and would like to keep it as a 12.5 or 13.5. does anyone run 39.5 irocks on their toyota with close to the same setup? let me know what you guys think.:redneck: :corn:

running 22re, toy tranny, dual cases and locked up f/r toy axles with 5.29's, chromos, and full hydro with 39.5 iroks and it seems to work. Ask anyone that I've been out with, which isn't too many but it does work and so far hold up to my abuse that I've thrown at it.

I'm running 38x12.50 SXs on mine with pretty much the same setup and abuse it pretty good. No issues yet.
I think 39.5s are about the limit for toy axles though.

I have done it, I ran 39.5 iroks and run 39.5 swampers now. It will hold up fine if you buy bobby long 30 splines for it. I haven't had an issue since I got Bobbys Good chromo set. Bobbys the man and has made it able for us toy guys to get away with big rubber.:beer:

I know a lot of people who run the bigger tires with bobbys axles and there the only axles to hold up. I would worry more about the stress on the knuckles and steering arms and studs. at that point, thats also alot of weight on a light housing.

:cool:

let me know what you guys think.:redneck: :corn:

I think you should do it and that you'll be just fine. This was a set up that half of our group ran for years. Just keep up on the maintenance. (steering arm bolts, etc..........you know the routine)

It think like roccrawler said the housing will become the weak link but as long as your not jumping it and stay with the 4 banger it will be all good.

I know a lot of people who run the bigger tires with bobbys axles and there the only axles to hold up. I would worry more about the stress on the knuckles and steering arms and studs. at that point, thats also alot of weight on a light housing.

:cool:

Just torque your steering knuckle studs and hub studs on a regular basis. I also welded the studs from the inside of the knuckle so they can't pull out......mine never have. The only time I have ever bent a housing is jumping my old toyota and bottoming out hard. :awesomework:

I ran 22re, duals with a 4.7 4.38 gears with 42" tsls then 39 Krawlers and even 44"tsls never broke a shaft:redneck:

I ran 22re, duals with a 4.7 4.38 gears with 42" tsls then 39 Krawlers and even 44"tsls never broke a shaft:redneck:

how light is the rig youre running that on? what about your rear output?

my future plan is to run 40" mtrs, and the only thing i'm worried about is ring gears and hubs... then maybe a rear output. other than that all is well with longfields!

I have 22re,toyota rear spooled,60/toy frontaxle,toy tranny,toy t-case w/5;1,5;29 gears and am running39.5 tsl's and have my old iroks are in back yard.they are good until they get to 1/2 life then they suck in the mud,and good on the rocks and dry dirt

longs and hub gears are the next step, im good at routine mantainance and have pretty much changed my mind on possible dd. the only pavement it will see is shake down runs to town and sometimes to and from the trails. should be able to cut down on street use when i get my trailer all set up. but for right now i will be most likely riding shotgun in my own truck on the paved roads. gotta have a go and blow in everything i drive, and can think of a lot better places for one besides my wheeler:eeek: :fawkdancesmiley: im in a toss up between tls's, sx"s or iroks. would love to get crawlers but dont know that i want to spend that kind of change as i have some legal debt to pay for some time:mad: dont like the ware and tear on the iroks but love the performance, and the trueness of them. fawk, not sure yet what im going with but its gonna be new and big.

Last edited:
how light is the rig youre running that on? what about your rear output?

my future plan is to run 40" mtrs, and the only thing i'm worried about is ring gears and hubs... then maybe a rear output. other than that all is well with longfields!

It was 2600lbs with the 42s. As far as the output it was broke first time out. The first trip out it went to Goldendale 3rd gear +4.7 +6000 rpms on dirt coverd rocks= broke. If your sticking with a toy T-case I would upgrade for sure:redneck:

Im running 38.5x12.5 SXers on my toyota set up.

Ive got a front range full floater in the rear (FZJ80 flange plates no hubs) with 4140 axles and a V6 third member, 5.29's/ARB.

Longfields up front with a reverse cut front third member, 529's/ARB.

I tried to put together as strong a toyota set up as I could get.

picture.JPG

Last edited:
I run a 85 22re, toy tranny, 5.29s, dual stock cases with a welded rear and a ARB in the front, 30 splines, and 39.5's IROKs i won at the bender jambo, and hydro assist. No problems so far except broken steering studs (probably because I forgot to tighten after i drove from southern california to tacoma :eeek: ) I still run the stock 85 axle shafts in the rear also. I am not too heavy on the gas though. If any of you want to wheel some time shoot me a PM, i haven't meet too many people in the area yet.

Joey

I run a 85 22re, toy tranny, 5.29s, dual stock cases with a welded rear and a ARB in the front, 30 splines, and 39.5's IROKs i won at the bender jambo, and hydro assist. No problems so far except broken steering studs (probably because I forgot to tighten after i drove from southern california to tacoma :eeek: ) I still run the stock 85 axle shafts in the rear also. I am not too heavy on the gas though. If any of you want to wheel some time shoot me a PM, i haven't meet too many people in the area yet.

Joey

You drive your yota on 39.5s and the state patrol leaves you alone?

39.5 iroks, 5.29's spools f&r birfield elim. kit up front. 30. v6. thats about it for mind and have been wheeling with this setup for 2 some years and wheeled hard when needed. just don't tell me to stop and pull cable, cause I will punching that throttle pedal down.

I use to deliver pizza in my yota with 39's with welded rearend for about 1.5 years with no problems form city and state patrol, maybe I'm lucky