• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

39.5 iroks vs toyota drivetrain

I trailer it now, but the only trouble with state patrol that I have had, is up @ Pyramid Pass it was sitting in front of my trailer ready to be loaded up and state patrol gave me **** for having Alaska plates on the 85. :haha: Then he went into how the vehicle should have ORV plates and its not safe for the roads. blah blah blah

I think I have been pretty lucky as well. Glad I trailer it now!

Joey

I have had 39.5 Iroks on my rig for the last 5 years. My opinion is that they are a little too big for hard wheelin and low maintenance rigs. I have a 4.3/ auto, and can be throttle on at times.

Last two years carnage:

5 rear outputs, could break them on command in the rocks. Now chromo, we will see.

Not many birfields, maybe 4? Could break those on command also, but after 30 spliners I have had 0 problems in about 2 years.

Rest of the frontend- housings, hubs, hub studs, knuckle studs, 2 5.71 ring and pinions (same day). Have had excellent luck with V6 4.10 third members, but did break one carrier last year.

Several driveline ujoints, yokes, and a cv or two. I broke about 5 or so drivelines last year.

Also ripped the third out of the housing with stock studs then with 3/8 hardware.

I think that 36 Iroks are a much better match in general, or a 38x12.5 TSL.

I have had 39.5 Iroks on my rig for the last 5 years. My opinion is that they are a little too big for hard wheelin and low maintenance rigs. I have a 4.3/ auto, and can be throttle on at times.

Last two years carnage:

5 rear outputs, could break them on command in the rocks. Now chromo, we will see.

Not many birfields, maybe 4? Could break those on command also, but after 30 spliners I have had 0 problems in about 2 years.

Rest of the frontend- housings, hubs, hub studs, knuckle studs, 2 5.71 ring and pinions (same day). Have had excellent luck with V6 4.10 third members, but did break one carrier last year.

Several driveline ujoints, yokes, and a cv or two. I broke about 5 or so drivelines last year.

Also ripped the third out of the housing with stock studs then with 3/8 hardware.

I think that 36 Iroks are a much better match in general, or a 38x12.5 TSL.

Everyone that I see that breaks output shafts is running 410 gears. Is that what you had when you broke all of yours ?

Everyone that I see that breaks output shafts is running 410 gears. Is that what you had when you broke all of yours ?

The lower the axles ratio the less stress on the drivelines. So 4:10's are harder on shafts, 5.29's are not. I have never broke an output and I beat onit pretty good. I also j=have 5.29's.:beer:

The lower the axles ratio the less stress on the drivelines. So 4:10's are harder on shafts, 5.29's are not. I have never broke an output and I beat onit pretty good. I also j=have 5.29's.:beer:

I agree. Every rig I see break the output shaft has 410 gears.

that is why i went with 529 and stock cases. if i had run 410s i would have run 4.7 gears in one of the cases, but i really dont think i will need them around here. i guess i will find out soon enough though. 4.3 didnt have anything to do with the carnage?:eeek: 4cyc. cuts down on breakage quite a bit to.:redneck: will admit i do love hp though. maybe some day when i can afford d60'S the a 4.3:D

Thats correct, 4.10 gears. I never tried 5.29s but i broke two sets of 5.71's and a friend of mine broke two sets of 5.29s. The 5.29's broke before the output, but not the 4.10s. We had 4cyl Yukon gears too, Precision or superior V6 4.88 or 5.29 would probably last longer. Could of had them treated too I guess. Just looking at a V6 4.10 gearset vs. a 4cyl 5.29 and knowing that nobody sets them up better than toyota, made me switch. I think the chromo output should end my problems.

I'm sure glad someone brought this up. I've really been thinking about this lately since I plan to go with much larger tires, as well.

The way I figure it...38" is about as big as you want to go...it's up to the user, but if you plan on going with anything above 33" you want to start looking at getting Bobby's Axles F/R as well as upgrading the ring and pinions (5.29s that have been cryoed and heat treated), better u-joints, better drive shafts, 30 spline t-case output, better hub gears, chromoly drive flanges, did I miss anything?

So, if you're gonna go big, go with anything Bobby has to offer! You won't be disappointed.

its not always about weight its also leverage. either way im pretty sure thats were i want to go. and already have planned on talkin to bobby even if i was to stay with my 35's. what good is a 4 wheel drive if you constantly have to worry about breakin your axles?

A number of guys I wheel with run the 39/42 Iroks on built toy axles. The weak point IMO is the R&P. Cryo those and yer in pretty good shape. Sometimes they break 30spl longs.

A number of guys I wheel with run the 39/42 Iroks on built toy axles. The weak point IMO is the R&P. Cryo those and yer in pretty good shape. Sometimes they break 30spl longs.

Re4ally how often does that happen? Only 40 people in the word have broken them since they came out. Im one of them so that makes 39.

I have a built 350 in my toyota..with 5:29's, limited slip front, and bobby longs and run either a 39 TSL or 38 TSL, and the rear is just a stock 86 axle with 5:29's and a spooland havent had any problems with either axle and rod the **** out of it...=)

Some old vids

Latest posts