• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 questions

Lucky Jeff

Anyone happen to know what year the Astro van was changed to Vortec? What kind of issues do 4.3's have? like Yota 4 bangers like to toss timing chains, Cummins has the KDP, Jeeps lose compression blah blah blah. What does the 4.3 have a problem with?

Lucky Jeff said:
Anyone happen to know what year the Astro van was changed to Vortec? What kind of issues do 4.3's have? like Yota 4 bangers like to toss timing chains, Cummins has the KDP, Jeeps lose compression blah blah blah. What does the 4.3 have a problem with?

vortec is really a generic term gm has had for the last few years. it seems everything they produce now is some sort of vortec. the first generation vortec was put in production in 1992 had a vin code of "w" and had cpi injection.
they made different versions of these as some had crank sensors and some not.
the next generation came in 1996, still had a vin code of "w" but had a platic upper plenum and a sfi injection system. in 2002 they did some minor redesign, had multec 2 injectors and gave a vin designation of "X".this is for astro's and could be different for s-10 or blazer. the common problems-- first generation is obviously the worst. balance shaft rattles, egr stuck all the time and ate fuel pumps. second generation had plastic intake gaskets, :wtf: burnt fuel sender cards, and ate fuel pumps. the latest X engine had plastic intake gaskets, high maint. injectors setting missfire codes, burnt fuel senders, and still eating fuel pumps.

IMO the best is the X engine as it has the best HP rating and runs the best of them all.
they have since had updates fixing all except high maint. injectors and weak fuel pumps.:hi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#V6

from my searching head gaskets seem to be pretty common issues with some of the astro vans i was finding around 200 dollars.. if that helps.

i found tons of them with 275K and still running good. i got two for $500 with 165K on them. one runs perfect one dont run.

Last edited:
Hip said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine#V6

from my searching head gaskets seem to be pretty common issues with some of the astro vans i was finding around 200 dollars.. if that helps.

i found tons of them with 275K and still running good. i got two for $500 with 165K on them. one runs perfect one dont run.

Thats typically due to the heat retention to the motor/incased in a hole....

4link said:
vortec is really a generic term gm has had for the last few years. it seems everything they produce now is some sort of vortec. the first generation vortec was put in production in 1992 had a vin code of "w" and had cpi injection.
they made different versions of these as some had crank sensors and some not.
the next generation came in 1996, still had a vin code of "w" but had a platic upper plenum and a sfi injection system. in 2002 they did some minor redesign, had multec 2 injectors and gave a vin designation of "X".this is for astro's and could be different for s-10 or blazer. the common problems-- first generation is obviously the worst. balance shaft rattles, egr stuck all the time and ate fuel pumps. second generation had plastic intake gaskets, :wtf: burnt fuel sender cards, and ate fuel pumps. the latest X engine had plastic intake gaskets, high maint. injectors setting missfire codes, burnt fuel senders, and still eating fuel pumps.

IMO the best is the X engine as it has the best HP rating and runs the best of them all.
they have since had updates fixing all except high maint. injectors and weak fuel pumps.:hi:

The 94-5 tbi motors were also a vortec motor--had a counterbalance shaft and vortec heads.

All the vortec motors run a crank sensor(except the tbi) and a cam sensor.

The "X" motor uses the same injectors as the "W" motor--the difference was in the software/cam.

The EGR problems on the first generation vortecs is not a problem with the gr but carbon buildup where the intake meets the head/breaks loose and holds the egr open...

The second gen vortecs run a rubber incased in a groove gasket for the plenum--very durable....

as for fuel pumps--Gm cannot build a good pump.

crash said:
The 94-5 tbi motors were also a vortec motor--had a counterbalance shaft and vortec heads.

All the vortec motors run a crank sensor(except the tbi) and a cam sensor.

The "X" motor uses the same injectors as the "W" motor--the difference was in the software/cam.

The EGR problems on the first generation vortecs is not a problem with the gr but carbon buildup where the intake meets the head/breaks loose and holds the egr open...

The second gen vortecs run a rubber incased in a groove gasket for the plenum--very durable....

as for fuel pumps--Gm cannot build a good pump.

94-95 tbi engines never had a vortec style head as the true vortec had only 2 bolts in each corner and are not interchangable with earlier years.it's not just beacause they had plastic rocker cover that said vortec.

not all vortec's had a crank sensor and did'nt come about till 94.
please provide part # for a 92-93 w engine.:haha:

the 4.3 has never used a cam sensor and was'nt till 96 they started calling the dist. a cam sensor again please provide part #.

yes the upper penum has an encassed o ring for the upper plenum .
the lower intake had a plastic gasket that had to be the worst design ever thought of and they all leak.

the x engine does have different style poppet which is called multec 2 and is different. they may look the same on the exterior but have a different poppet.

ahh so i need to steal the fuel pumps from both so i have a spare... thanks for the tip mikey.:clappy:

4link said:
94-95 tbi engines never had a vortec style head as the true vortec had only 2 bolts in each corner and are not interchangable with earlier years.it's not just beacause they had plastic rocker cover that said vortec.

not all vortec's had a crank sensor and did'nt come about till 94.
please provide part # for a 92-93 w engine.:haha:

the 4.3 has never used a cam sensor and was'nt till 96 they started calling the dist. a cam sensor again please provide part #.

yes the upper penum has an encassed o ring for the upper plenum .
the lower intake had a plastic gasket that had to be the worst design ever thought of and they all leak.

the x engine does have different style poppet which is called multec 2 and is different. they may look the same on the exterior but have a different poppet.

As for the 94-94 tbi motors---have you had one apart and looked at the heads?

As for the crank sensors you are correct---my bad there.

Are you sure about the plastic gasket on the lower intakes :flipoff:

As for the different injectors on the "x" motor--they fail just as often as the "w" so in REAL life they are no different to me...

crash said:
As for the 94-94 tbi motors---have you had one apart and looked at the heads?

As for the crank sensors you are correct---my bad there.

Are you sure about the plastic gasket on the lower intakes :flipoff:

As for the different injectors on the "x" motor--they fail just as often as the "w" so in REAL life they are no different to me...

as for ever having one apart, NO, i just deliver newspapers for a living.:flipoff:

and yes, i'm sure about the intake gaskets--96 and newer has captured o ring gasket with an update to an aluminum gasket with o ring

4link said:
as for ever having one apart, NO, i just deliver newspapers for a living.:flipoff:

and yes, i'm sure about the intake gaskets--96 and newer has captured o ring gasket with an update to an aluminum gasket with o ring

So you have never done an intake on one :haha: :haha: :haha: Because you would know the true answer to this...

4link said:

Hey ASSHAT, how bout you quit trying to be an internet know-it-all and go out and actually get some real world experience. Then you can come back here and give some good advice rather than this **** that you heard somewhere at sometime. :looser:

Trevor said:
Hey ASSHAT, how bout you quit trying to be an internet know-it-all and go out and actually get some real world experience. Then you can come back here and give some good advice rather than this **** that you heard somewhere at sometime. :looser:

:haha: :haha: great, now you have to go with the name callin. from now on you will be skewmaster.:kiss: :DaBird:

Trevor said:

Trevor--you crack me up.......

all this wasted knowledge on a V6 engine...:wtf:

I find the biggest problem with them is they are missing a couple cylinders :flipoff:

Unfortunately I lean towards the Jokers knowledge on this one.... Sorry Mike :redneck:

:kissmyass: :kissmyass: :kissmyass: :kissmyass: :stirpot: