• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 swap

I am not saying to buy a new harness, but they seam to make it sound as if it is not a big deal.

Eric said:
I am not saying to buy a new harness, but they seam to make it sound as if it is not a big deal.
They're reprogramming the ECM to remove the security features, that's another option but most places want a few hundred to do that. The software package to do it yourself is $1300 :redneck:

We re-program (flash) your computer to allow the engine to start/run properly. We remove the "PASSKEY" anti-theft system to allow you to successfully install our engine harness.

but that means that the 30$(magic box) one that you may order could work, and you would only have to find the correct computer to plug into your harness

Eric said:
but that means that the 30$(magic box) one that you may order could work, and you would only have to find the correct computer to plug into your harness
Yep. Should be able to find a matching computer for $50-100 and hopefully hock the one I have for the same. Then it's just a matter of Crash talking me out of it. :redneck:

Crash, where are you? I thought you were gonna hook me up with your GM expertise. Help me Obi-Won Crashobi, you're my only hope. :corn:

Ok, here's the short version. Service numbers don't really tell you **** on those puters. Some websites will give you one piece of info, and others will say something completely different. Either way, if you take a computer into the dealer, they CAN NOT tell you what it came out of from the service number.

As for wiring: 2001 they changed to the Delphi puter. For the first part of the year, they kept the plugs on the motor the same as they were from 1996 until then. Mid year they changed the plugs on the motor. They went to mostly round style plugs versus mostly flat style plugs. If you have the flat style plugs on your motor, you can use an earlier harness. If not, you can change out the sensors to the older style. They are cheap at Pull A Part.
If you choose to stay with your delphi computer, or you choose to use a 98 and newer puter, you can send it to Jims Performance in Maryland, and he will do anything you want for about $200. http://www.jimsperformance.com/ As far as the $30 little quick fixes, I have not heard of anyone having good luck with those yet on these motors. It might work, but I have not personally tried it.

If it were me, I would go to Pull A Part and spend $10 on a harness, and $25 on a puter for a 1996 or 1997 and call it a day. No pass key, no bullshit.

Trevor said:
Ok, here's the short version. Service numbers don't really tell you **** on those puters. Some websites will give you one piece of info, and others will say something completely different. Either way, if you take a computer into the dealer, they CAN NOT tell you what it came out of from the service number.
Gotcha, that makes sense with what I've been seeing. Have to tell you, it sure sent me for a loop with all the conflicting info I was finding.

Trevor said:
As for wiring: 2001 they changed to the Delphi puter. For the first part of the year, they kept the plugs on the motor the same as they were from 1996 until then. Mid year they changed the plugs on the motor. They went to mostly round style plugs versus mostly flat style plugs. If you have the flat style plugs on your motor, you can use an earlier harness. If not, you can change out the sensors to the older style. They are cheap at Pull A Part.
Ok, this is part I don't understand totally yet. I'll get a pic up in a few of the connectors I have, but I don't get when/what the change was made. I have two big long connectors, mabye 5" long, with a screw in the center to retain them. So this is the old style? I'd really prefer keeping everything on this motor the same year so I don't have to remember what I need when parts break. I already have that issue with the mix-n-match of Toy parts on the truck. :redneck:

Trevor said:
If you choose to stay with your delphi computer, or you choose to use a 98 and newer puter, you can send it to Jims Performance in Maryland, and he will do anything you want for about $200. http://www.jimsperformance.com/
Ya, I've heard his name before. Problem is the computer I have won't plug in, so I need to find one that will...
Trevor said:
As far as the $30 little quick fixes, I have not heard of anyone having good luck with those yet on these motors. It might work, but I have not personally tried it.
my fear as with any piggyback system like that, is that it will work fine at first and over time eventually poop the bed.

This is what I have for the computer connectors. Harness has red and blue connectors, ECM has "blue" and "black" labeled ports. The blue plug fits, the red doesn't.

normal_IMG_4342.JPG

This is the motor as of tonight after I finished peeling the wiring harness off.

normal_IMG_4339.JPG

Can anyone confirm that this is the oil pressure sender? My wiring diagram didn't have it listed. Back of the block, goes into a 90* fitting and down into what appears to be an oil channel next to the cam.

normal_IMG_4336.JPG

You have the delphi puter, and a delphi harness, just not the right puter for the harness. Your stuff is mid 2001 and newer. All of it. The easiest thing to do would be to get the correct computer, and have it flashed. As for the oil pressure sensor, YES that is it.

Trevor said:
You have the delphi puter, and a delphi harness, just not the right puter for the harness. Your stuff is mid 2001 and newer. All of it. The easiest thing to do would be to get the correct computer, and have it flashed. As for the oil pressure sensor, YES that is it.
Cool. When you said pull-a-part are you talking about the guys up on 99 in Lynnwood? Never been there, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have any suitable donors. :cheer:

Well both the Lynnwood and Tacoma PAPs have nothing even close right now. :booo: I did get this back from Jim...

yes..you will need a 12200411 pcm and it will have red/blue to match the harness.We kill everything in the program and do a peformance timing curve.If you set a code it will be valid trouble only.Cost is $200 for program..1 day ..We also rework stock harnesses to make them super simple for rock buggy installation..that one is a $300 harness rework...I will look and see if i have any 0411 pcms..jim

archer1965 said:
Shane, call Lynnwood Auto Electric of Als Truck Parts.
No answer at either, guess I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks dude.

And so I don't have to look them up later... :flipoff:

Al's Lynnwood Truck Parts
(425) 743-9191
13311 Hwy 99
Everett, WA 98204-5423

Lynnwood Auto Electric
(425) 743-7355
13224 Hy 99 S
Everett, WA 98204

archer1965 said:
Theres also a yard right next to Als but I don't know the name of it. they don't have very many vehicles but you could try them.
Looking for them in Dex...

These guys say they specialize in chebby too, but they're also closed today. :rolleyes: Is there some big game or something today? I mean come on, it's not like it's the superbowl or something lame like that is it? :redneck:

Lynnwood Auto Wreckers Inc
(425) 743-0421
17810 Hwy 99
Lynnwood, WA 98037-3614

Yep, snagged one from a 2001 silverado. Plugs right in. :cheer: :clappy: :cheer: :clappy:

normal_IMG_4371.JPG

The old one actually says Delco on it, not Delphi. *shrug*

Motor is lookin' kinda nekkid now. :redneck: :corn:

normal_IMG_4351.JPG

Latest posts