• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 vortec passlock bypass (HELP!!!!)

traildemon

Im in the process of wiring up a 1998 chev vortec and Im just wondering if anyone has found a way to wire around the passlock 2 system. As of right now I dont even have any of the passlock system. will the ecm send a ground signal to the injectors if the passlock system is completely gone? I have access to one if I need it but reading around the interweb it looks like they fail fairly often I would like to run without it if possible any help would be appreciated. THANKS

it will fire and die but will not run continously. You can have the VATS flashed out of the ecm or use a 96 or 97 computer without VATS. may want to udse the harness as well I think a few of the injector wires changed between 97 and 98 wen they went to the vats system.

thanks. can the dealerships flash the computer or does it have to be sent off somewhere? I just hooked everything up so Im going to stick with this ecu cause it would really be a pain to switch em out if the harnesses are different. but when I do this again I will make sure and buy one a little bit older :awesomework: thanks

Thanks, did you keep your 02 sensors ? just wondering how they run without them. Im definately going to send it to that guy tho :awesomework:

Yes, I kept my front 2 O2s. It runs like **** without O2s unless you are switching to a carb. He will be able to explain all that to you... you want at least 2 O2 sensors to help the computer setup a good air/fuel trim. Otherwise it will try and rely on other sensors to adjust but it will never run right. He can remove the rear O2s from the computer that way your idiot light will not be on when you dont run them. I dont have a light (just a OBDII port) on my right so I dont see a light but If I plug my scanner in I get about 4 or 5 codes that dont effect the motor like EGR, Tranny kick down, aft O2s... ext. He can remove all that plus the anti-theft and add some power for you. :awesomework:

Yes, I kept my front 2 O2s. It runs like **** without O2s unless you are switching to a carb. He will be able to explain all that to you... you want at least 2 O2 sensors to help the computer setup a good air/fuel trim. Otherwise it will try and rely on other sensors to adjust but it will never run right. He can remove the rear O2s from the computer that way your idiot light will not be on when you dont run them. I dont have a light (just a OBDII port) on my right so I dont see a light but If I plug my scanner in I get about 4 or 5 codes that dont effect the motor like EGR, Tranny kick down, aft O2s... ext. He can remove all that plus the anti-theft and add some power for you. :awesomework:

Thats what I thought, in his thread everyone was talking about deleting those thats why I was wondering. I dont think Im going to run the check engine light either so thats perfect. thanks for all the help :awesomework:

The guy in that thread has the O2 explaination a bit off. Yes the front two O2's are the ones which are used to adjust fuel trim and I would recommend you keep them as it's a lot of work to tune them out but it can be done and the rig will run just fine without them. The lookup tables he talks about are always use with or without the O2's. The fuel trim is above and beyond these tables....Also be carefull when trying to get more power out of your engine from just the tune. Yes you can usually get a touch more power because the factory tunes are a bit on the safe side.....A guy much smarter than I who did (he's now deceased) this work for a living once said "give the engine what it wants not what you think it wants". In other words more fuel doesn't always mean more power. Most of the time adding a little more advanced timing is all you can really do.

The guy in that thread has the O2 explaination a bit off. Yes the front two O2's are the ones which are used to adjust fuel trim and I would recommend you keep them as it's a lot of work to tune them out but it can be done and the rig will run just fine without them. The lookup tables he talks about are always use with or without the O2's. The fuel trim is above and beyond these tables....Also be carefull when trying to get more power out of your engine from just the tune. Yes you can usually get a touch more power because the factory tunes are a bit on the safe side.....A guy much smarter than I who did (he's now deceased) this work for a living once said "give the engine what it wants not what you think it wants". In other words more fuel doesn't always mean more power. Most of the time adding a little more advanced timing is all you can really do.

Thanks for clearing that up a bit, and Im not looking for a bunch of extra power I just want it to run. I fully understand about the too much fuel thing I was just going to have him delete the 3rd o2 sensor and get rid of this passlock POS system and set it up for my TH350 trans. One more question they were talking about it running better with a vss is that true or can they get around that too? Im going to keep all the emissions stuff besides the last o2 so that should be pretty trouble free I HOPE :beer: