• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.3 Wiring question...

blackcj71

So along with the motor i got a also pulled the whole harness, comp, fuse box, etc etc. Im not using any wiring for the trans so can all that be pulled without having the comp recalabrated?? Also is they're a way around just using 2 O2 sensors (one for bank 1 and and 1 for bank 2) instead of the 4 that it origanally came with it.

spenser

blackcj7 said:
So along with the motor i got a also pulled the whole harness, comp, fuse box, etc etc. Im not using any wiring for the trans so can all that be pulled without having the comp recalabrated?? Also is they're a way around just using 2 O2 sensors (one for bank 1 and and 1 for bank 2) instead of the 4 that it origanally came with it.

spenser

What are the specs on the donar spensor (I like spenser with an "O" if you haven't noticed :D )

crash said:
What are the specs on the donar spensor (I like spenser with an "O" if you haven't noticed :D )

What do u mean specs? 1998 Chevy Astro van 4.3L with 4L80E transmission. If thats what you mean crOsh. :flipoff:

HA!!!!

Ok...

As of right now your pcm is a dead goat due to the passlock security system unless they have some kind of add on module as of right now to correct it.

The auto trans stuff can be removed but will set a code

That vehicle has advance evap so that stuff will set a code

That vehicle also has 3 way catalyst diagnostics so removing the post catalytic o2 sensors will not affect how it runs but will set a TWC code.

you just gave me a headache... haha Its time to start doing alittle more research then. Is the security thing come from IGN key??

That vehicle also has 3 way catalyst diagnostics so removing the post catalytic o2 sensors will not affect how it runs but will set a TWC code.[/QUOTE]

Cant the i have the computer reprogramed for this??

blackcj7 said:
you just gave me a headache... haha Its time to start doing alittle more research then. Is the security thing come from IGN key??

Thats "passkey" your thinking of.

On the astro there is a passlock sensor in the column which sends a voltage to the evo/passlock module. That voltage is then read and a signal is sent over the class 2 data network to the pcm/vcm

blackcj7 said:
That vehicle also has 3 way catalyst diagnostics so removing the post catalytic o2 sensors will not affect how it runs but will set a TWC code.

Cant the i have the computer reprogramed for this??[/quote]

Oh ya--but its like a lil under 300 bones the last I checked...

blackcj7 said:
You think custom harness from painless or howell would be a simpler way to go about this?

Heck no... They suck IMO :; Build your harness and incorpurate the other systems into it so its nice and neat :;

blackcj7 said:
That i can do but wouldnt i still have the same problem with the security thing and codes being set??

Yup--wiring is not going to fix that issue so painless/howell won't do anything for ya...

WEll im gonna find out about the security stuff get that figured out. Then i think ill be in bizz. ILL MAKE IT WORK!!! thanks for answering them there questions.:beer:

if i cant get'r done you'll be gettin a phone call.:rolleyes:

I had some of the same issues when I put my 5.7 4l80e combo in my cj. I had few issues with the passlock so I used the ignition from the donar vehicle which solved the passlock problem. with mine I also had to install the body control module. Without it the engine would run for 3 seconds and then the fuel pump would shut off. Good luck:D

oneshot said:
I had some of the same issues when I put my 5.7 4l80e combo in my cj. I had few issues with the passlock so I used the ignition from the donar vehicle which solved the passlock problem. with mine I also had to install the body control module. Without it the engine would run for 3 seconds and then the fuel pump would shut off. Good luck:D
dat dont sound like any fun :stirpot:

i have tricked a pass lock with a resistor of the same spec hard wired to where the 2 wires for the passlock is and it worked.
be damned if I can remember right now what year of GM car it was though, honestly dont even recall if I had to a relearn for the passlock :redneck:

yep and the CAT's dont hurt nothing just run um :;

the trany code for the computer is gonna probably need you to get a used stick shift engine computer or just reprogram yours (if you want it to pass DEQ) , far as I know acording to the man it wont pass the spec of a 98 DEQ with DTC's present.

Now say your rig is a 89 and you say it has a 94 motor all there gonna do it run it on the roller dyno to check it.

Last edited:
As far as the passlock problems go, get yourself a 96 or 97 computer from the wrecking yard and all your problems are solved.

crash i too have 4.3l vortec from a 95 astro van. I got the harness stripped/labeled and ready to be hooked up. Is there a list some where of what needs to be hooked up and what can be ditched?

95 lmfao
sure pick on the weird year why dont ya:haha:

yeah I know you asked Crash but this may help, does it have an OBD2 plug or a typical GM plug where you hook up the scan tool?

or dose it have both??
:corn: It does really help to have the VIN number of the doner rig, you have one?

i havent seen of any site that gives directon to how to wire in a factory harness's if you find one let me know :hi:

Yo Wazz its me Graeme(sold you the MT/Rs)

So hear is the deal, I bought the motor from Bud and got the motor, ecm, and harness. So far i got the harness laided out and pluged in. Turns out the motor is a 95(spider style injection(6)) with a 97 block. Harness/computer match the motor. I am not a wiring guy what so ever so you gotta bear with me. Do i need to plug in a charcall(SP?) canister? Or can i bypass it?