• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4:38 in front w/4:30 gears in rear will this work off road?

redline

I need to know if I can Run My gear ratio this far off? i got dana 44 with disk thinking of putting it in My 4runner 4;38f to 4;30r

it should be fine ran my yota with 4.37? in the front and 4.10 in the rear for a year and didn't even know it untill i put 5.29s in

Mine is 4.38 fronts and 4.3 rears, on a hard surface it bucks pretty bad. Dont recommend that for an extended period of time but im sure wheeling you would be good.

It's usually a function of having a different axle front and rear. 60 rear and 44 front would be 4.09 in the 44 with 45 teeth on the ring gear and 11 on the pinion gear. The 60 would be 4.10 with 41 teeth and 10 teeth.
Numerically they're not exactly the same but in reality they match...

I'm just wondering, why is it that you are swapping a d44 for a Toyota rear?

I got a d44 out of a rodeo with disk and is 60" wms to wms, and was thinking of a waggy 44 up front same wms to wms. i want to do something as i don`t like the leakey front end and the cost for toyota stuff is rediculas My toyota is built on a budget and i want to be able to continue wheelingon my lil to no budget. any input?

I got a d44 out of a rodeo with disk and is 60" wms to wms, and was thinking of a waggy 44 up front same wms to wms. i want to do something as i don`t like the leakey front end and the cost for toyota stuff is rediculas My toyota is built on a budget and i want to be able to continue wheelingon my lil to no budget. any input?

Toyota rears are super strong. I wasn't criticizing, just curious. If that's what you got and it works for you then hammer down!:011:

It's usually a function of having a different axle front and rear. 60 rear and 44 front would be 4.09 in the 44 with 45 teeth on the ring gear and 11 on the pinion gear. The 60 would be 4.10 with 41 teeth and 10 teeth.
Numerically they're not exactly the same but in reality they match...

Sorta. It also has to do with actual gear design and tooth count that can vary even on the same axle. Gets into some ring & pinion voodoo that one of our engineers can explain in length. Since shiney things distract me, I couldn't tell you the whole explanation.:redneck:

I don't buy that. If the tooth count is the same then the gear ratio is the same. I would like to hear what one of those engineers has to say about it though.:beer:

I might have misspoke: You will have different tooth counts in the same axle and same ratio depending on the tooth design.

Such as a Dana 44 4.09 is different from a Dana 44 4.11 because of different tooth counts and reasons in design, but for you and I they're the same for all intents and purposes.

I might have misread your comment at the same time. :D

Last edited:
you think toy stuff is pricey? just go fine parts for that rodeo 44 special gears lockers had one and got rid of it

Getting rid of a toyota axle for a dana 44 seems like a step in the wrong direction IMO. And I have dana 44's. :;

you think toy stuff is pricey? just go fine parts for that rodeo 44 special gears lockers had one and got rid of it

WTF? Low ratio gears and a high ratio carrier. Yes the STOCK setup is special but swapping in aftermarket is just like any other 44.

As for swapping yota axles for 44's that is just retarded. You think yota stuff is expensive start pricing all the blingtanium it'll take to make that 44 almost as stong as a yota axles with longfields...