• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4.70 t-case gears w/auto tranny?

bigd9247

So my current setup is this: 4.3L V6, TH350 automatic tranny, single toyota 4cyl t-case, 4.10 differential gears. So far out on the trails the stock low-range gears in the t-case have worked just fine (since i have an automatic), but occasionally the truck will bog down and not be able to spin the tires very well... i'm assuming this is because of front/rear lockers and 4.10 differential gearing.

So now i'm debating whether or not i should get 4.70 t-case gears to get even lower gearing on the trail (thus more torque to the tires in low range). But i'm concerned that the 4.70 gears might be too low... and no i don't really want dual cases.

According to www.grimmjeeper.com... my final drive ratios (in low) work out to these:

stock: 1st=23.56 2nd=14.21 3rd=9.35 (i run 1st on trails, 2nd or third between trails)

4.70 gears: 1st=48.56 2nd=29.29 3rd=19.27

so on less technical trails, it looks like 4.70 in 2nd is comparable to stock and 1st gear... but will my auto tranny have issues running around in second on less technical trails or will it operate just like it normally should (downshifting when it needs to and upshifting when it needs). i guess i'm concerned that my tranny is going to be constantly jumping back and forth between 2nd and 1st on less technical trails, where as now i just keep it in 1st the whole time.

opinions? (sorry for the long post)

Stock geared duals. End of story.

i really don't want to go duals... if i do then i'd have to get new driveshafts (new rear and remake my front square tube) and i'd have to get rid of my steel locking center console cuz it's in the way of where the shifter on the rear case would go.

In order to do what you want to do you'll need to either go duals or drop the ratio in your 3rd's down a ways. 4.7's with an auto will be so fawking slow you don't know what to do with yourself in low then waaay to high in high. You need a compromise and 4.7's just ain't it....

I think those ratios should work OK. You'll just spend most of the time in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also get a full manual valve body.

I think those ratios should work OK. You'll just spend most of the time in 2nd and 3rd gear. Also get a full manual valve body.

x2

my brother runs a 4.3, turbo 350 with duals no 4.7's and 4.10 diff gears and it works good in double low with the manual valve body, not much a ratio difference between duals and a single 4.7