• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4 Door Jeep JKU...??

nateb83 said:
I test drove a 2008 before getting my 2012, engines are night and day different on the interstate too, Id do what these guys say and bite the bullet and go newer, Its well worth it just for the power and not to here it downshift every 30 secs

We drove a 2007 with 35's and a manual trans this weekend and by the time i made it to 6th gear i felt like i needed to downshift. Definitely felt like a turd. Cant imagine how weak the automatics are and she cant drive a stick.
Ill be buying a 2012 or newer for sure just have to find the right one.

Bought an '11 new.

35's and 5.13's since a couple thousand miles.

The oil consumption is the valve on the valve cover from what I understand. I check the oil and add some when it needs it ..... usually less than a quart low at oil change time.

One cracked manifold
Balljoints at 69,000 miles

The 3.8 isn't the 4.0 ..... but the 4.0 wont get the gas mileage of the 3.8 either

I drove a new stock 2 door with the 3.6 and it didn't seem as happy as the 3.8 with 5.13's

Re: Re: 4 Door Jeep JKU...??

rednecklights said:
Bought an '11 new.

35's and 5.13's since a couple thousand miles.

The oil consumption is the valve on the valve cover from what I understand. I check the oil and add some when it needs it ..... usually less than a quart low at oil change time.

One cracked manifold
Balljoints at 69,000 miles

The 3.8 isn't the 4.0 ..... but the 4.0 wont get the gas mileage of the 3.8 either

I drove a new stock 2 door with the 3.6 and it didn't seem as happy as the 3.8 with 5.13's
Never had a wrangler with the 4.0 but all my xjs got better fuel mileage than the stock jk. I thought about regearing just figured I hold off and use the rubi axles in a different project when the time comes to pull them.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

definitely agree with what is being said about the years. we have 2008 rubicon and a 2013 sahara. both on 35s. the 3.8 is garbage and consumes tons of oil. the 3.6 makes more power and is much nicer to drive and the interior is tons nicer as well.

the '08 has the 4.10s and the '13 has the 3.21s (pretty sure) and the '13 is faster :rolf:

rednecklights said:
We pulled a trailer with our rzr when we first bought it.

Even for a dd I'd regear --- so much nicer

the $ I save from not regearing gives me a little more $ towards buggy parts!! molaugh

I started to just text you.....but I figured I would let everybody here know as well. The 3.6 is a lot better motor than the 3.8 but.......I have seen numerous 3.6 failures as well. Not necessarily in Jeeps but they put the 3.6 in several other models. I'll be honest if I was you I would buy an older 3.8 as cheap as possible and HEMI swap it.

In the last few months I've heard a lot of '12 and newer JK's needing new heater cores, which is an expensive fix. From what I've heard it is caused by casting sand in the engine block. Anyone else had this problem or heard of it?

I've had a few. The 08 I had was a rubicon, 3.8, auto, 4.10's, 35's and you would nearly get run over in it. It was terrible on the highway and any type of incline. I didn't keep it long.

The 2012 was just a sport, 3.6, auto, 3.21's, 35's and it was night and day difference from the old 2008 Rubicon. It drove great and had plenty of power for what it was. Around 35k it did have the common head problem and it was fixed under warranty and never had another issue, current owner has around 80k and it's never gave him another problem.

The first 2012's when they swapped to the 3.6 some did have the head problem, I know a few that also had them with the 2012's. This is the only year I'm aware of but once it's fixed your usually good.

I have a 2015 now and it's just a sport, 3.6, auto, 3.73 (some have 3.73's btw) and 37's and it pulls them fine. I was worried about it being a turd before I put the 37's on it but its not at all and does well with them.

Hills, interstate incline anything it does fine. I will say I put a AEV procal programmer on to fix the shifting for the 37's, I drove it awhile before I put that on there and that was probably the best thing I done. Highly recommend the procal. Transmission doesn't shift near as much and stays in gear and doesn't search around for what gear it should be in.

What are the main differences in the Rubicon vs the regular Unlimited.
Dana 44's front and rear
Lockers front and rear
Is the stock suspension the same?
Are they also lower geared?

Re:

The spring rates are different, wheels and tires and shocks. Also have the 4:1 case and electric sway bar disco. And depending on year the 11s older had 4:10s. Not sure how they do the newers.

Edit, along with what you mentioned above.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

zayne2427 said:
What are the main differences in the Rubicon vs the regular Unlimited.
Dana 44's front and rear
Lockers front and rear
Is the stock suspension the same?
Are they also lower geared?
Case has 4:1, maybe beefier **** inside, have to investigate
Same tubes out front axle, but the third is pretty cool. HPD44, big pinion, 4.10 factory, electric locker and the shafts are bigger, as are the joints. I've had to do some swapping on the front parts and the ujoint isn't a 760x size, its slightly bigger, still a spicer life series. Nowhere near as big as a 806x, but bigger than normal 44 stuff.
Remote disco swaybar, that I've never used
Rear is a JK44, beefier than older 44's, and the rubi has larger splines and larger shaft. also elocker.
I could do without the 4:1, I like 2.72 cases with any amount of axle gearing. I can only go 40 on the rev limiter in OD with my case in low when we are in CO running fire roads, and high is too much. The rest of the **** is cool. Just the 4.10's factory hold off a gear swap for a bit if you're going 35's, hell probably forever if you get the 3.6. The saved gear/locker swap savings generally pays the difference between the Rubi and the non rubi unless it is a stripped base model, which you likely don't want anyway.