• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

4 truggy build

Finally some updates worth posting...

First and foremost, thanks go out to Rob of Muchado productions for hooking me up (yes, it pays to get your pirate red star...) You da man! Great motivational material......
july2007011dg1.jpg

I decided I better upgrade to 23 spline input on my rear case. Chris G hooked me up by swapping out the 21 spline input that I originally ordered. Also, looks like 12voltguy will be available at TG soon
july2007021wi4.jpg

While I'm posting up the cool stuff the man in brown left at my door step, I also need to give props to Paula and the crew at Crawl mag. My 4lo DVD never made it, but they took care of me quick like... Thanks again....
july2007020sz6.jpg

Thanks to Bobby & Terra for helping me out and letting my boys play with their dogs, Swamper & Bogger... 30 spline Birfs & axles, Cromo IFS hub gears, 5th knuckle stud kit, & cromo output shaft.
july2007030jf5.jpg

The updates from the weekend.... One step forward & two steps back. The more I work on it the more I want to do to it. After cutting the frame off behind the rear wheel well, I worked on getting the ride height established... Here it sits at 25" belly clearance. Should be able to keep ~6" in the rear.
july2007018bm2.jpg

After getting the rear where I wanted, the front needed to come down ~3" or so... IFS frame + high steer + leaf springs = one tall front end...

I'm now going to run a 3 link with panhard & full hydro instead of hydro assist. Gotta save up for another set of Air shocks.... My 2.5 year old wanted in the pic.. Plan is to rework the front frame section & motor mounts to get some much needed uptravel.
july2007023us6.jpg

Side shot... I'm a little worried that the extra wheelbase I gained from moving the axle forward will negate the low COG... I can always raise it an inch or two, right?
july2007017kh3.jpg

Opened the rear fenderwell up as much as possible while still keeping some sort of recognizable radius... more sheet metal work in the near future. Definitely a challenge to keep the axle close to the rear of the cab & still have room for the tire on full bump..
july2007002ha4.jpg

Spent a couple hours cleaning all the stock brackets off of the rear housing. It's now ready for the Ballistic Fabworks brackets I ordered a while back.
july2007019vm5.jpg

Started the rear 4-link cross member. 1.75" .25 wall DOM. I left it long on both ends to tie the x-brace that will go behind the front seats into. Lots of gussets, etc are in the works.
july2007021ju8.jpg

Last pic.. Shot from the back. Lower links will be in the 50" range.... In hindsight, it would have been easier to start out fresh and make my own frame rails. I have countless hours in to grinding off brackets, etc. Only ones left are the ends of the stock horse collar cross member and the old chebby 63" hangers....
july2007020fj6.jpg

Small update... Lower links are done and lower ballistic fab lower link bracket is mocked up. Camera died on me....

Hope to get more time in now that Summer is winding down.

2.25" .375 wall DOM lowers & Johnny Joints on one end & 4x4 Ken bushings on the other end.... 41" minus the joints.

august2007039ij6.jpg

august2007040pg6.jpg

My original plan for the axle upper link bracket was to use a 1.75" hoop & ballistic fab bracket (similar to Hyena's link setup). I'm using the same setup for the frame side lower's already.

I'm going to use Trail Gear's new 4-link tower that Chris Dunbar designed instead for a couple reasons. The design of the ballistic bracket puts the link mounts out in front of the housing above the 3rd member. I don't think it would look clean by the time I add enough support to the bracket, hoop & housing to compensate for the leverage. I'm sure it will work fine on the frame side lower mount since it is mounted to 2" .25 wall.

I really like the one piece design of Trail Gear's new bracket. Beefy...
22.jpg

Here are a couple pics from Chris G's zukitoy build-up for reference.
23.jpg

24.jpg

From Chris' build....
http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1709

Props to Trail Gear for continually coming out with new products and also for their customer service. Both Chris G & Chris D are always eager to answer my build up related questions.

Very NICE work looks good.:cheer:

thanks bobby! can't wait to flog the new output shaft, birfs, etc.... :cool:

Getting closer on the rear 4 link....

TG bracket worked out great!
october2007003tr3.jpg

october2007011wl1.jpg

I ended up making new frame side lower brackets out of 1/4" material. They are also mounted lower to get the link numbers to work out better..... I also plan to lower the drivetrain 1" which will help with the lower hood line and COG...
october2007040ho4.jpg

october2007041qf5.jpg

october2007039af0.jpg

new toy in the shop... I'm looking forward to using it more...
october2007042pq5.jpg

tj40ounce; new toy in the shop... I'm looking forward to using it more... [img said:
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9092/october2007042pq5.jpg[/img]

LUCKY.....GAWD

The mill is kick ass.... I used it to drill out 9/16" holes for the new frame side side brackets... Adjustability in the table and the pimpin' Kurt vise made drilling larger holes a snap...

I know my dad is looking to add a lathe to the shop as well.... It's only $$$$, right?

:redneck:

Last edited by a moderator: