• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

43" SX Sticky vs Non Sticky

1TONTJ said:
I'm hearing that the 17's burp air a lot below 10 psi. I guess if I ran non stickies I'd go back to H1 wheels.

Ayep. The 17" wheel has a poor inner bead lip safety bump - simular to the 16.5 has. Under 10psi the tire burps air til flat and off the wheel lip.

The new set of wheels and tires I'm going to run are 44" Pitbull rockers mounted on MRW shells I had them widen an inch - to make them 10" wide. They are 17" dia. To cure the burping issue I'm running a set of innerairlock bead locks. I used them on my last set of 42"x17" tsl and they just plain work. I ran 3 to 4 psi without any issues at all.

A couple of layers of duct tape around the inner bead and they will not burp. I had 42 sticky iroks that burped like hell, two layers on the inner bead no more burping. There is a thread on pirate about it.

Not to add to the derail but I have 42/17 Irock stickies and 32 bolt Rockathons and only run 3-3.5 lbs in rear and 4-4.5 lbs in front and mine have never "burped" and it is 3380lbs w/o me in it....is this a problem with newer or older sets of tires or just a known general problem I havent encountered yet? It can sit for 3-4 weeks and I dont add air after rides unless I want to go up in preasure.

ldudley said:
Not to add to the derail but I have 42/17 Irock stickies and 32 bolt Rockathons and only run 3-3.5 lbs in rear and 4-4.5 lbs in front and mine have never "burped" is this a problem with newer or older sets of tires or just a known general problem I havent encountered yet? It can sit for 3-4 weeks and I dont add air after rides unless I want to go up in preasure.

I've never ran mine that low but I run 6 in the rear and 8 in the front on a 3600lb rig and have never had any issues. I left the air high this past weekend in Harlan b/c we were havin to his stuff so hard since it was slick and I wanted to avoid bending a wheel....wow those things suck with air in them. I'll never run more than my initial 6/8 again.

I think the type wheel you have make a difference and also each run of tire is different. The Iroks had a very loose bead. They also burped when it was really cold much worst than warm weather. Eighther way the tape will fix it. Krawlers I have now have never burped and have a really tight bead with no tape.

snoball said:
A couple of layers of duct tape around the inner bead and they will not burp. I had 42 sticky iroks that burped like hell, two layers on the inner bead no more burping. There is a thread on pirate about it.
knaffie said:
Good ole duct tape loller.gif

2 layers of duct tape and bead sealer. I run 6 psi on spyder lock wheels with no inner bead issues. Even after cutting a side wall and driving about a half of a mile back to the truck. The inner bead was still on. Dismounting is a real pain.

R H said:
2 layers of duct tape and bead sealer. I run 6 psi on spyder lock wheels with no inner bead issues. Even after cutting a side wall and driving about a half of a mile back to the truck. The inner bead was still on. Dismounting is a real pain.

The last post in this thread was nearly 3 years ago...

Since this post started, I never had stickies in my life, ran 44"tsls and thought they were the best, when yankster showed up with his first set of stickies it made my tsls look like crap, he was crawling **** that I was banging on the rev to climb , after a few trips of that I put 43 sx stickies on mine, night and day difference, a few buddies have done the same in our group now after wheelin with me and jerod , I have like 5 trips on them since March and they are chunkin bad already but I knew that was the gig with them, all or nothing... If you want awesome then go with stickies , when I first got them I thought they'd shine on rocks but to my suprise they even work on mud/ slick dirt and tree roots, we have a small bounty hill up here in NY that I've hit 100 times with Boggers and tsls, you start in a creek bed with wet tires and no momentum. First try with the stickies and I climbed it like nothing :woot:

1TONTJ said:
I'm hearing that the 17's burp air a lot below 10 psi. I guess if I ran non stickies I'd go back to H1 wheels.

I have been running them for a year now on 17" Trail Gear wheels, I run 4.5 lbs in the fronts, 4 lbs in the rear and have not burped a tire off the wheel yet. The trail gear wheels are single outer bead lock but noticed when we were mounting the tires the inner bead area on the wheel is really thick, maybe this helps.