• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

454 throttle body

johnboy1

a guy i know is looking for a throttle body for his 454. anyone know where he could find one? he says he;s check junkyards, dealerships, everywhere. he is only looking for one because his truck is running lean and this is his last idea. he has already changed out the ECU and did a full tune up. but it still has no power. also, he said that his exhaust manifolds are heating up so badly that thye glow red and start cooking his starter. any ideas what it might possibly be?

does he have a Cat on it?? Might be clogged if his manifolds are heating up. Also has he checked his O2 sensors??

a guy i know is looking for a throttle body for his 454. anyone know where he could find one?

This is a column for the "Wanted" section.

That said, your descriptions remind me of a clogged cat convertor or an o2 sensor. Have someone pull the codes. If you've got the ability of unbolting the exhaust system between the headers and the cat. convertor, try running the engine with them loose to allow the excessive pressure to 'leak out' of the loosened exhaust. If the runability issues are gone, then it was a bad cat.

ill ask him about the cat. as far as codes, none were popping so he replace his knock sensor and now thats whats popping up.

dont just throw parts at it. find out whats going on. Otherwise you'll spend a bunch of money on parts he doesn't need.

Has he checked fuel pressure? Timing?

The BB throttle body isn't a "bolt on and go" kind of deal. The larger throttle plates will hit the smaller intake bores. They also take some tuning (chip programming) to run well. I'm running one on my truck and it has taken a lot of work to tune in.

It would be a direct bolt on for a 454. Just have to adjust the IAC and TPS. As for the knock sensor he probably put in the wrong one. It's common for part stores to have the wrong one listed. When he changed the ECU did he use his old chips?

not sure if he used the old chips or not. this is a guy i know from work. hes one of my steel delivery guys. hes already done quite alot to it. he has yet to change the MAF, and says he can hear a whistle coming from just in front of his throttle body.