• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

465 4spd

taterfab

My 465 operates great till I get on rocks . Or in situations where i need to back ,while climbing . It will lock up and not want to shift at all. I will have to take the shifter out and take large screwdriver or prybar . And wiggle it around in trans. And most of time it works. But sometimes just a tug backword will un jam it. Hate to give up my granny with my 203/205 doubler. What needs replaced or rebuilt? what parts bad? Getting 400t but would like to figure out 465 for another trailrig. Thanks

Sounds like the clutch one way to test that would be to winch foward, then with the pressure off it will come out of gear. If that solves it then you know clutch, 465's usually only lose synchro's.

There is a known spacer or ring issue.

Seems like it lets a gear move on a shaft when it shouldn't

pachary said:
There is a known spacer or ring issue.

Seems like it lets a gear move on a shaft when it shouldn't

This.
When they have "wear". Probably needs a little rebuilding in the shifter.

My friends have pushed in on clutch arm when jamed and no help. Like I said a tug back does help. But if can't get tug I look in at plates and use prybar to move then ok. Thats a bitch when hanging on side of hill. Think I look at a rebuild kit. Just wondering if in the shifter or deeper in. Got a 350t and 400t but they need rebuilt.
Thanks

It's a combination of total wear. I had one that when I tried to th reverse from second fast it would hang up. The shifter is not pulling out of second and going to reverse the gear slides to easy and to far, locking two gears at once.I also had clutch problems so I changed to an auto. I had a doubler to but a also have rock wells, so my gearing is ok. I love my auto. Be sure and get a low stall converter. I installed a 13 in 1100 stall works almost like a stick!

Thanks . 465,doubler and tons . 410 gear that would suck with auto. I'll pull the tranny pull cover and check it out. But another question can you make a400 first gear lower than 2.6? Maybe a 3.? like 700r?Im IN southern Ohio.

I had one that was doing the same thing and it was the shifter. It had worn enough that it would go sideways before it got the gear completely disengaged. It would work fine as long as you shifted slowly but as soon as you tried to shift it fast it would hang. Check your shift rails and make sure they are not worn (rounded off where the gap is in the middle). The shifter is a wear part and is softer metal.