• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Muncie 4spd with transfercase??

Skid Mark

So I picked up a 82 chevy truck for free with a bad engine and in need of a new rear end. It had been modified and had a muncie 4spd with overdrive and what looks like a np208 behind it. Ive never seen this before and did a little rersearch and found it is a popular sanddrag draceing combo. I wanted to know if any one has run this combo before possibly in a jeep and if they like it or possibly what the going rate is for a set up like this.
thanks

The Muncies are a great tranny, close gears and easy shifting. Built to take a lot of power. The only problem with the 4 wheel drive ones to watch for is a welded output shaft. Its the easy way to make one and the easiest way to mess one up if the welding on the shaft isnt done right.

The Muncies are a great tranny, close gears and easy shifting. Built to take a lot of power. The only problem with the 4 wheel drive ones to watch for is a welded output shaft. Its the easy way to make one and the easiest way to mess one up if the welding on the shaft isnt done right.

Thats good to hear they can handle power. I'm a little worried about the close gear ratio being I plan on using this as the tow-rig. I'm going to pull everything out and giving it a once over before reassembly with the new motor. Thanks for the heads up on checking the output shaft.

Question.. Is the only way to make this combo work to weld it? and other then just a general bad weld what should I be looking for in reference to how its welded.

So I picked up a 82 chevy truck for free with a bad engine and in need of a new rear end. It had been modified and had a muncie 4spd with overdrive and what looks like a np208 behind it. Ive never seen this before and did a little rersearch and found it is a popular sanddrag draceing combo. I wanted to know if any one has run this combo before possibly in a jeep and if they like it or possibly what the going rate is for a set up like this.
thanks

My buddy jeep ive working on forever we purchased one for $300 with np205 did not come with inspection plates. I need ALL the inspection plates for it real soon:mad: good set up I think...

Lets see some pics. Ive only seen the old style ones with AA D20 setups.

Do the trannys you guys speak of have external linkage and aluminum cases?

NP also made an aluminum cased, external linkage, 3 speed with OD.

Look over what you have closely. Both you guys are mentioning having NP cases on yours and pokey is refering to the old school muscle car ones.

You sure you don't mean it's a 3 speed with an over drive 4th gear? That sounds like a New process A833 pile of ****ing **** trans that probably had a 6.turd diesel in front of it. The aluminum version has issues with the counter shaft dropping but you can get a iron case version that doesn't have the issues. The trans still sucks no matter which case you have.

I was under the assumption that he was refering to a close ratio car type tranny converted to a 4x4 version (keywords muncie/ sand drags) :eeek:

You sure you don't mean it's a 3 speed with an over drive 4th gear? That sounds like a New process A833 pile of ****ing **** trans that probably had a 6.turd diesel in front of it. The aluminum version has issues with the counter shaft dropping but you can get a iron case version that doesn't have the issues. The trans still sucks no matter which case you have.

Yes on the 3 speed with a 4 speed overdrive gear and its an iron case not aluminum with driverside external linkedge. It did have an aluminum bellhousing and transfercase and Im just about positive its a np208 transfer

he's talking about an sm465 with np208. the tranny is bullet proof but the tcase is garbage

:eeek:

I was under the assumption that he was refering to a close ratio car type tranny converted to a 4x4 version (keywords muncie/ sand drags) :eeek:

Yes this is what it looks like and I was told by the previous owner it was a muncie but Im not sure he was correct

he doesnt know what he has:masturbanana[1]:

:rolleyes:

Since when did a sm465 have a overdrive 4th gear?

:haha:

I had to leave it at a friends house it wouldn't hold enuf water in the motor too drive more then a couple miles ( bad block crack all to hell from freezing.) Its at my buddys house being I need to get a trailer or a tow truck as soon as its in the drive way here Ill get some pictures

:beer:

Latest posts