• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.0 H0

RKCRWLR

SNORT MEMBER
I was having the bottom end done on the 5.0 & the guy says it had a blown head gasket. Now he says I should just bore it 30 over, new pistons, crank kit, cam, lifters, heads surfaced, injectors cleaned. The rebuild would cost about 3,000. What do you guy's think, is that what I should do?

I was having the bottom end done on the 5.0 & the guy says it had a blown head gasket. Now he says I should just bore it 30 over, new pistons, crank kit, cam, lifters, heads surfaced, injectors cleaned. The rebuild would cost about 3,000. What do you guy's think, is that what I should do?

Any idea on how the engine ran before it was pulled out of the donor?

If it was using alot of oil then yes--but this isn't going to be in a daily driver so unless the crank is in poor shape(which usually gives an idea of how well the motor was taken care of) I wouldn't waist your $$$ on it jacob..

So the motor's out of the rig, how much is the bottom end working costing you and what are you getting for the cost? What's the motor going into? IMO, if it were me and I knew the motor had lower mileage and was in good shape before I got it, I would just do the head gasket and call it good... but it sounds like since you're having some bottom end work done, that maybe it wasn't taken care of by the PO? The it might be a good idea just for peace of mind.

It always amazes me that people will do this just to do it. Like it's some kind of bragging right. :rolleyes:

Didn't ya get the memo? A-hyuck, a-hyuck... my fawrd's bawrd out 60 over and's gots cams and hedders its faaaast. :redneck:

That sounds like way too much money. :eeek:

You could buy a new long block for less than that I would think. I've had 5.0L heads cleaned and resurfaced for $100. So where's the other $2900 coming from?

Just buy a 331ci short block. :redneck:

i put a $1200 dollar crate motor in mine. runs perfect 5 years later. except for the one little quirk when its cold... :redneck: $3000 seems like a lot to me.

again depends on the motors mission. if it was a hotrod it would be different.

I bought it off of craigs list so I don't know how it ran, the guy said good. It was ticking pretty loud when we fist started it. oil looked old, but not to bad no water & not real dark. Smoked a little white. leaked some water out of the front intake manifold. The had 140,000 & we where just doing a crank kit because the bearings were a little brass looking.

The Motor is going in my trail Jeep, but I wanted it to be a good runner & last for a long while + some HP.

I just went & looked at it & told him to see what it would cost to just resurface the block & heads hone it out new rings, crank kit,oil pump tube & filter,cam,injectors cleaned & go from there with a more accurate cost.

For 3K on a 5.0 you better at least end up with a 331 and some World heads... if your going to assemble it yourself, you can probably do a 331 with some AFR heads for that kind of $$$.

For 3K on a 5.0 you better at least end up with a 331 and some World heads... if your going to assemble it yourself, you can probably do a 331 with some AFR heads for that kind of $$$.

Exactly, I will never have a expensive lower end ever anymore...Toyota crap ruined me...However, good heads and intake i can swap to the next crap shortblock sounds good to me. Someday i will be driving on my side and i dont want to be used to a 347 and have to do another one.