• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3 cam swap help

rambo

Looking to do a cam swap on my 2005 gm 5.3. It has th350 atlas , 4.56 gears, 40 in nittos. Do want a big stall due to the heat and I do a good bit of road riding. Just want a little more pep. Thx in advance

I have a 220/220 110 LSA and love it makes good power throughout the rpm range it is loopy but was able to tune a good idle you will need a 2600-2800 stall

Re:

212/218 is a very popular cam in stockish 5.3 and you dont have to run a stall or a big one if you do.

With the 220/220 you will ATLEAST want a 2800- converter more in the 3k range the better IMO

Ls engines dont really start waking up till 3k so if you put a larger cam in it the power only moves further up the rpm band

Bumpers said:
212/218 is a very popular cam in stockish 5.3 and you dont have to run a stall or a big one if you do.

With the 220/220 you will ATLEAST want a 2800- converter more in the 3k range the better IMO

Ls engines dont really start waking up till 3k so if you put a larger cam in it the power only moves further up the rpm band

This is true but with a lower LSA it helps bring it in sooner as well as give a wider power band I run a PTC 12inch converter that is called their high stall which is the most stall you can get out of a 12 inch converter ( bigger the converter less heat you build) you would need to do a 10 inch converter to get 3000 and above stall. Also like bumpers said ls motors don't make power down low so even a stock motor needs the correct stall converter most th350 converters are 1200 for v8 and 1800 for v6 and you need at least 2200 for the stock ls motor to really act right you will be surprised how much the correct converter will make a difference

Another thing you have to think about is gear ratio and tire size when picking converter for example if you are only off road you want to pick a converter that suits your low range gearing (deeper the gearing more stall is needed ) vs if you are mostly on road you would try to match that closer for the OP I would go bigger on the cam the first time bc you will have to buy a converter either way

Re:

Not to barg in,but since on subject. Running 216/220/114 with 5.38 and 44s. What would ya suggest on converter

Whats wrong with putting an LS1 cam in it? :dunno: Know several people that run them with really good results.

Both Turnkey and CBM have nice cams specd to wake up a 5.3. Take the guesswork out, they flat work. The CBM is a little more aggressive on the idle

2010 Jim's Garage 4429
2012 Jim's Garage YJ
2013 Wide Open Design WFO

Re: Re: Re: 5.3 cam swap help

crawler nut said:
Whats wrong with putting an LS1 cam in it? :dunno: Know several people that run them with really good results.
Swapping a 5.3 cam for a ls1 cam isnt worth the money you will spend in fluids just to do the swap.

Alot of folks are scared of converters but the right converter matched up with the engines torque curve makes a huge difference. And trail riding in low gear you wont hardly notice the converter as much as you will in high.

On a 5.3 id stay 220 or under on duration and between 112-114 on lobe seperation with mild lift .550-.580