• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.3l

Kimbrell75

thinking about building a 5.3 out of a 04 chevy 1500 any advise on cam or any budget build would be great. ive always ran propane or a carb so kinda stoked and iliterate when it comes to the fuel injection stuff. i can also throw in i will be runnin a ls intake

an LS1 intake will only make the engine shorter....you will loose low end torque, same with the LS6 intake, although it will make more top end power. Also, I am currently running an LS6 cam in my 5.3 and works really well and can be had relatively cheap.
`

Kimbrell75 said:
How does the ls6 cam sound with open headers? I want a really good thump

You should never buy a cam for the sound. Best bet is to do a little head work, get a different intake and get an ls6, ls1 or ls7 cam and get it tuned properly. All the power you'll need to break ****...
it might not lope like a big block drag car but you also won't have to rev it to the moon to move

Neal3000 said:
Why do folks put 4.8 heads on 5.3's?

I don't think they do. AFAIK the 4.8/5.3 heads are the same.

I've heard of putting 4.8/5.3 heads onto LS1s to bump the compression ratio. (we put some Patriot performance on my buddy's WS6 Trans Am with a slightly larger cam, the later on he swapped to 6.0 truck heads to drop compression when he built a turbo setup for it)

I assume you could put 4.8/5.3 heads on a 6.0 for the same effect, but with the larger bore and stroke, I'd say you'd be giving up some performance.

Give Lane Culver a call Culver Automotive Specialites 247 McCutcheon Loop Rd Lacey's Springs Al 35754 256-882-2450 he can tell you anything you need to know about a LS motor and a cam swap and can tune it for you also he has done several buggys for the guys around the area Jonathan and Jimmy at EOR have used him also he did a cam and a tune in my 6.0

I also had my heads milled to bump the compression a little. I am running a stock S10 converter, what ever they stall at. LOL Although, I do plan on upgrading to a better converter when I build the buggy and get it properly tuned, hopefully on a dyno. From what my buddy said, he thinks I should be around 330-340hp with the mods I have.