• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.7 Motor Help & LS Motor Swap Info

BamaTJ

Hardline Crawler
5.7 Vortec out of a 96 Suburban. When I accelerate off idle it just falls on its face. It recovers somewhat when you get in the higher rpms. It was doing this last ride in November, thought it was fuel. Put walbro 255 pump and new filter on (5 micron) but still does it. Yesterday in the woods it was bad at times and not so bad at other times. In a bad bind or uphill it would literally just put, put, put, barely move with the gas to the floor in low range, first gear. If I had to bump something it would hesitate until the RPM's got higher then would kick in. It does it in high range on the road also. Notice a slight backfire here and there on the road. Took it to Advanced and it shows no codes. Pulled the fuel filter and it looks brand new. Any ideas? Jimmy thinks fuel pressure, but I don't have a gauge and none of the stores rent them. Anybody in town have one I can use or know a good shop that can diagnose the problem? Plugs and wires are a about a year old, found some corrision in the distributor cap but cleaned that in the woods, no improvement. Any ideas or suggestions would be great, I don't really want to dump money into various parts/sensors without any clue what the problem is.

Re: 5.7 Motor Help

mass air flow sensor.Borrowed one from you a king of the hill in 2008.Cab truck was doing the same thing.Ask woodlee

Just thinking outside the box but is your air filter clean? Mass air flow sensor clean? In a way it sounds like that but then is sounds like you are loosing fuel pressure also. Do you run foam in your fuel cell?

Yeah I cleaned air filter and MAF, as well as the TB and dist cap. No foam in cell, it has multiple traps and baffles, bottom feed. No way to starve it of fuel unless lines or tank is clogged.

I have seen several MAF's fail so maybe that is a decent place to start, just not sure the symptons as I have never had one fail on me personally. It is definately running lean, seems to run better when it is cold also, once it gets to op temp it is worse.

Is it spuddering and backfiring? Seems like the same issue we had with the Koh buggy when we first fired it up. Turned out to be the cam position sensor. It would idle fine but do kinda what your talking about. I would also make sure the throttle position sensor has the right voltage closed. Have seen them go bad as well.

It will idle fine, once you give it gas it starts spuddering after 2-3 seconds it will pick back up and higher rpms is ok. It has backfired a few times on the street, noticed it as soon as it starts coming back from the initial spudder. Just one or two pops, and it has only done it twice. Wouldn't a TPS or CPS show a code on a scanner?

iam not 100% but i think the older tbi stuff did throw codes as easy and if it did wasnt always direct with the problem .

if it's a TBI, make sure the injector plugs aren't reversed.

Check your fuel line routing. It might be that you are heating up the fuel as it passes through the line to the injection causing vapor lock. :dunno:

Fuel lines run down the passenger side, exhaust is on the driver side, nothing to heat them up. It is not TBI, it is the CSFI that came on 96-99 vortecs. It uses poplets that work at 65psi. I know there are upgraded injection assemblies available that use real injectors, but the cost is over $300.

Noah had some similar issue with his 6.0, he had some line deterioration which led to rubber particles getting to the injectors. Also do you know the ECM is not failing from corrosion or just being beat to death?

Mine did that (98 5.7 vortec) and it ended up being a plug wire.

Don't have a gauge for fuel pressure and cannot rent one, just ordered one online. Should be here in a day or two.

I do have 1-2 spark plug boots with a slight burn from the headers to them. They are not burnt through or anything, just have a melted spot on them. I did plugs/wires 2 years ago, and have done plugs again within the last 6 months. There was corrison under the cap that I cleaned up some. I guess a full tune up could not hurt..

Yeah Kelly I am saving for an LS1 swap but that does not get me in the woods in the meantime...

mine done the same thing. i put new plugs a wires on it and fixed it.

Burn spots on the wires? That might not be your entire problem( I would bet that it is), mine can burn just one boot (slightly) and run like crap off idle. I know I am on pane, but it still serves the same purpose.

HotRodpayton said:
Burn spots on the wires? That might not be your entire problem( I would bet that it is), mine can burn just one boot (slightly) and run like crap off idle. I know I am on pane, but it still serves the same purpose.

The burnt spot is on the plug boots. One boot on each side of the block, so two total. I will go ahead and get a tune up kit and start with that as it is about time for it anyways.

These engine's have weird issues like that with the spider injectors, ussually it will get bad enough it won't start without starting fluid.