• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

5.7L Vortec

H

HotRodpayton

I changed my mind on engine for the buggy. I'm racking my brain now to figure out what engine to use. I was going with propane but decided to go fuel injection. Motor mounts are for a 350. Anybody got any experience with getting some power out of a 5.7 vortec? Or should I can that and do what I got to do to go 6.0 or 5.3?

Search for 5.7 vortec, there is a good thread about power adds. I have one in my rig and it was stock until after KOH, then I added headers, ramjet cam and a Jim's Perf tune. Really woke mine up. Not sure how much it changed but it is like a whole new motor. I am happy with mine for a light rig

None of my bussiness MattO. But what did the upgrade end up costing, and did you end up changing injectors?

HotRodpayton said:
None of my bussiness MattO. But what did the upgrade end up costing, and did you end up changing injectors?

No injectors for me, mine are stock for now

Cam was $80 (takeout from a RamJet crate motor on eBay)
Headers were $220 (Hedman Block Huggers from Summit)
Computer Flash was $200 (Jim's Perf)
Exhaust was not cheap but I wanted a really nice, completely unboltable setup (Magnaflow Muffler, Stainless turndown, mandrel bends, flanges, labor, etc was about $600) My room for an exhaust is really tight also, so it was a job getting it in without hitting anything.

So right at $1200 for everything since I had some other misc parts associated with the cam swap (Gaskets, timing chain cover, oil, etc.)

I run a 5.7 vortec and have headers and filter right now. It runs good, but plan to do the ramjet cam and Jim's tune this winter to get a little more out of it. booyang

Beyer said:
I run a 5.7 vortec and have headers and filter right now. It runs good, but plan to do the ramjet cam and Jim's tune this winter to get a little more out of it. booyang

hows your rebuild? i remembered you tried rock bouncing and endoed.... :flipoff1:

Rock-bouncing? I was tree bouncing! :****:

Just moved in my new house (with shop), I hope to have the buggy running again soon.

I made some cups that bolt on a 5.3 and go the the old school chevy motor mounts on the table, have a coulpe sets sitting. If you didn't want to use the gay ass stock mounts, just whack the old ones off, not much difference or labor. I'm a gen III fan myself, waaaaay too much power lurking there for nearly free, plus an injection system you can grow with.

I run a 5.7 vortec in my rig, now a 383 with tune , cam swap and some other stuff, and with all that it runs really good but if I had to buy a motor to start with I would start with a LS based motor , just because all the new tech stuff will be for the LS motors, the 5.7 are old school now nobody is gonna make any new power adders for them anymore, my 383 probably makes more power than a stock 6.0 but there is alot more potential in the 6.0 andy way more coming in the future.

I know the 6.0 is endless on power upgrades. But like Beyer my buggy is set up for a 350. I talked to Jim at jimsperformance yesterday. Nice guy and very helpfull. I think after talking to him I would be happy with the 5.7 vortec.

I think it will be fine in a lighter rig like you are building. Sure it is not a Gen III, but it will make nice power and is easy to work with. I would love to have a 5.3 or 6.0 but I couldn't justify the cost for only a bit better performance

For the money I have spent on my motor, if I had to do it all over again, I would have saved up a few bucks and had Woodlee put me in one of those Gen III motors he builds. He is very reasonable on the price. Don't get me wrong, my motor has Major WooPaw and would not change a thing on it, but dollar for dollar these days, I would have put in one of those new monsters. :****: loller.gif

CHASMAN9 said:
For the money I have spent on my motor, if I had to do it all over again, I would have saved up a few bucks and had Woodlee put me in one of those Gen III motors he builds. He is very reasonable on the price. Don't get me wrong, my motor has Major WooPaw and would not change a thing on it, but dollar for dollar these days, I would have put in one of those new monsters. :****: loller.gif

I thought Woodlee bought his from Mast Motorsports out of Texas? My buddy has a 500+hp 6.2L from Mast Motorsports and it is NASTY! :driving:

His personal buggy and John G's both have Mast Motorsports motors. His dad built his and used all Mast Motorsports stuff and John's is a complete crate motor. Before that there is a guy about 20 minutes away that did most of his engine work and they put together some nice 6.0's. I think the name of it is Delk Performace?

Back to the 5.7 Vortec, I would build what you have and your buggy is already set up for. There are a lot of changes that have to be made to go the the LS style motors. Don't get me wrong they are great motors but you can get a lot of power out of what you have and the injection does a good job. For the record though if I were starting from scratch, and knowing what I do now, I would just order one of those Mast Motorsports complete in the box!!!!

Beyer said:
I thought Woodlee bought his from Mast Motorsports out of Texas? My buddy has a 500+hp 6.2L from Mast Motorsports and it is NASTY! :driving:

Not sure, but I think they are Delk's. All I know is proof is in the puddin. Uncle Bob's UBKON, Adam's personal ride, Lance's ragin machine, etc... If I ever build one again someday, that's what I am doing. :driving: :dblthumb:

Matt O. said:
I think it will be fine in a lighter rig like you are building. Sure it is not a Gen III, but it will make nice power and is easy to work with. I would love to have a 5.3 or 6.0 but I couldn't justify the cost for only a bit better performance

that silver aetna buggy i rode with this past weekend has a 5.7 vortec with very minimal build parts... 6.17s - 300 stock with big outputs... had no lack of power at all.

pm spots.. He is the owner and could tell ya more bout it.