• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.0L flywheel question

yourhero

I just bought a 6.0L vortec and it has a flat flywheel not the dished one. Do I still have to run the torque converter spacer for a Turbo 350 trans?

hurry up and get it done. come over and check mine out if you need to, just got er done. heres your info copied from ls1 tech.........

here are the facts about fitting an old style trans to the gen3 engines

1. the gm gen1,2 trans will bolt to the gen3 engines but you only use 5 bolts, the gen 3 engines do not use the middle bellhousing bolt on the pass side( no big deal )

2. you do not need a special flexplate, the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1- just need the t/c bolt holes ovaled out a bit and the 5.3 flex plates have a set of holes that match the small gm t/c bolt pattern perfect

- the 6.0 flat flex plate has the same t/c holes as the large gm pattern(th400 and most aftermarket th350 converters that have a dual t/c bolt pattern on them)

3. you need to use a crankshaft spacer when using a gen1,2 trans and converter there are 2 types:

- hughes gen3 crankshaft spacer part # hup-3795 $44 from summit/jegs, this spacer must be used with the curved 4.8,5.3,LS1 flexplates

- gm stock 6.0 crankshaft spacer 12563532 and longer bolts 12563533, this spacer can be used with either the flat or curved flexplate ( if using the curved style flexplate the flexplate goes on the crank first then the spacer goes on then the bolts, if using the flat 6.0 flexplate the spacer goes on the crankshaft first then the flexplate then the bolts)

there are a couple spacers available, theres one made by hughes, part #hup-3795 from jegs/summit. this spacer is only used with the curved style flexplate. there is also a GM spacer available, part #12563532 and bolts p#12563533. this spacer can be used with either flat or curved flexplates, if using the flat flexplate the spacer goes on the crank, then the flexplate, then the bolts. if using the curved flexplate, the flexplate goes on the crank, then the spacer, then the bolts.

I got mine from advanced adapters pretty cheap. Just be sure to check and see if there is a spacer behind your factory
flywheel it's got to come out before your trans. Will bolt all the way up.

I just went through this, the 6.0 is the only Gen 3 motor that will bolt right up to a TH350 or 400 using the old school flexplate. No adapters or anything needed, just bolt them up. The 5.3 or LS1 will need a Gen 3 flexplate and possibly a spacer.

Matt O. said:
I just went through this, the 6.0 is the only Gen 3 motor that will bolt right up to a TH350 or 400 using the old school flexplate. No adapters or anything needed, just bolt them up. The 5.3 or LS1 will need a Gen 3 flexplate and possibly a spacer.

this is awesome info thanks!

Thanks guys for the info. I went and bolted up another trans i had and the converter liked about a 1/4 to 3/8 inch from touching the flywheel. Is it ok to pull the torque converter out of the front pump that far.
0214011753a1.jpg

looks like it needs the spacer and longer bolts. i wouldn pull it out that far. bout 1/4 inch is all i would pull out. looks like you would take the fly wheel off put spacer on the crank, flywheel back on, then bolt it up. brock or jamie might now about the guy locally that turns down his own custom spacers for that

Definatly don't pull the converter out that far. They're supposed to be pulled out at least 1/8" but no more than 3/16", or that's what we do on our race trucks and use washers to shim it properly.