• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

biggin

Looking at newish tow rigs. I cant find a 7.3 that has a million miles or one with decent miles that isn't $25k. I dont want a 6.0 for sure seeing as ive owned one and got lucky to get away from it. I would love a 6.7 but they are a little out of my price range. So here's the questions. Whats the pros and cons of the 6.4's? Anything particular to look for? Certain year to avoid?

Any advice would be appreciated. And please, i know the cummins is a superior engine but, i don't want a dodge.

That's what i feared Patrick. I guess I'll have to find a 7.3 that isn't worn out and pay that pretty penny.

Depends on how it was taken care of. I have one that has been trouble free for the last 50k miles. I replaced the radiator hoses because the orginal single oring hose is prone to leading. New design is double o ring.

The radiator can be an issue if there is a lot of frame / body flex from a lot of suspension flex if the body mounts are worn out. The extreme flex causes the radiator to crack at the support.

The rods insert and valve guides were made with steel inserts instead of bronze inserts by international to cut cost.

The dpf needs to be cleaned by 100k or it will wanna screw with cyclinder 7 and 8. If you delete then there is no issue.

Extreme heat can cause small cracks around the valves that will leak coolant.

I'm big on maintenance and send my oil off to be looked at with every oil change. Intresting enough there is a big SD repair guy that I have come across his u tube channel. He has been working on these trucks for the last 20 years amoung other engines, and also developed heads for the 6.0 and 6.4. He personally drives the 6.4. He made a comment that the best bang for the buck is an 05 - 07 6.0 and to do a full delete and fix the other issues. He is under powerstroke help on Internet and you tube.

pholmann said:
The 6.4 is worse than the 6.0. 7.3 or 6.7. There's really no other option.

X100000000 if you can find a 6.0 that's been bullet proofed I'd rather have it! 6.7 is my first choice but dam they are big money used. You will hear a lot of story's about the 6.0 being **** but I sure have a bunch of buddy that have them that are tuff trucks! Most have bullet proofed some haven't :dunno:.

86chevota said:
X100000000 if you can find a 6.0 that's been bullet proofed I'd rather have it! 6.7 is my first choice but dam they are big money used. You will hear a lot of story's about the 6.0 being **** but I sure have a bunch of buddy that have them that are tuff trucks! Most have bullet proofed some haven't :dunno:.

There is no such thing as a " Bullet Proof " 6.0 !!! :****:

6.4 is like playing russion roulette
I'd rather have a big block gasser any day

There are gobs of 7.3 trucks out there for way under $25k

Mortalis5509 said:
Depends on how it was taken care of. I have one that has been trouble free for the last 50k miles. I replaced the radiator hoses because the orginal single oring hose is prone to leading. New design is double o ring.

The radiator can be an issue if there is a lot of frame / body flex from a lot of suspension flex if the body mounts are worn out. The extreme flex causes the radiator to crack at the support.

The rods insert and valve guides were made with steel inserts instead of bronze inserts by international to cut cost.

The dpf needs to be cleaned by 100k or it will wanna screw with cyclinder 7 and 8. If you delete then there is no issue.

Extreme heat can cause small cracks around the valves that will leak coolant.

I'm big on maintenance and send my oil off to be looked at with every oil change. Intresting enough there is a big SD repair guy that I have come across his u tube channel. He has been working on these trucks for the last 20 years amoung other engines, and also developed heads for the 6.0 and 6.4. He personally drives the 6.4. He made a comment that the best bang for the buck is an 05 - 07 6.0 and to do a full delete and fix the other issues. He is under powerstroke help on Internet and you tube.

Right here he said it best! Best band for your buck is a 05-07 6.0. Do a full delete and stud the heads and you have a bullet proof truck! The radiators piss me off :gay:

86chevota said:
Right here he said it best! Best band for your buck is a 05-07 6.0. Do a full delete and stud the heads and you have a bullet proof truck! The radiators piss me off :gay:

Yep.. 6.4`s are very good and strong BUT, they rely strongly on good maintenance and getting rid of some of the restrictions. Also when they do tear up they can go catastrophic very quickly if you don`t pull that bitch over. The 6.7 is awesome but, still out of my price range as well. You can say what you want to but, a 6.0 done right is a damn good motor. Period. The problem is getting someone that knows what the **** their doing and just not taking your money. I`m telling anybody wanting a 6.0 take that bitch to KEM in Monticello GA letem do it right and I promise you`ll have a good truck. There`s still to many **** stick shops that don`t do these motors any justice. You ain`t gotta put no external oil cooler and all that ****. 130.00 coolant filter and a good monitor (SCT livewire) will save you tons of money in the long run. I wouldn`t give a bucket of piss for a fummins. Does it suck that you`ve got to do a few things to get it right? Yep but, blame EPA. Look at it like this it`ll cost you as much to get a cummins transmission built to hold up worth a damn as it does to get the 6.0 work done. Friend of mine just spent over 3 grand having the injectors and his frontend replaced under his chevy for the 2 time so just pick your poison. Lastly if it were me I wouldn`t want a 6.0 that's already studded cause you don`t have a clue who did it. Hell find one that needs the work get it cheaper and carry it a reputable shop and have the work done so You have the warranty. Good luck finding cheap 6.0 though. The price on diesels is high right now. Especially 6.0`s cause most people done figured out to get these bitches right.

bbtank45 said:
Fummins ftw :****: But who needs another project

I was headed down that road at one time. Got a glimpse of reality and sold every project i had, which was several lol.

I had an 04 350 with the 6.0 and loved the power that truck had. But at 45k miles it started white smoking at the tail pipe and was losing power. I had blown the head gaskets and oil cooler apparently while doing doughnuts in the middle of the highway with the sct turned up. Completely my fault. Ive found some nice 7.3's on ebay but nothing much on Craigslist. All this will be used for is pulling a 6k pound camper and a jeep occasionally.

truckbroke said:
Yep.. 6.4`s are very good and strong BUT, they rely strongly on good maintenance and getting rid of some of the restrictions. Also when they do tear up they can go catastrophic very quickly if you don`t pull that bitch over. The 6.7 is awesome but, still out of my price range as well. You can say what you want to but, a 6.0 done right is a damn good motor. Period. The problem is getting someone that knows what the **** their doing and just not taking your money. I`m telling anybody wanting a 6.0 take that bitch to KEM in Monticello GA letem do it right and I promise you`ll have a good truck. There`s still to many **** stick shops that don`t do these motors any justice. You ain`t gotta put no external oil cooler and all that ****. 130.00 coolant filter and a good monitor (SCT livewire) will save you tons of money in the long run. I wouldn`t give a bucket of piss for a fummins. Does it suck that you`ve got to do a few things to get it right? Yep but, blame EPA. Look at it like this it`ll cost you as much to get a cummins transmission built to hold up worth a damn as it does to get the 6.0 work done. Friend of mine just spent over 3 grand having the injectors and his frontend replaced under his chevy for the 2 time so just pick your poison. Lastly if it were me I wouldn`t want a 6.0 that's already studded cause you don`t have a clue who did it. Hell find one that needs the work get it cheaper and carry it a reputable shop and have the work done so You have the warranty. Good luck finding cheap 6.0 though. The price on diesels is high right now. Especially 6.0`s cause most people done figured out to get these bitches right.

I never thought about buying one that needed work. Hmm may be the way to go. Just out of curiosity, how much does it take to make a 6.0 "right"?

I got a guy out here at work with a 05 (I think) dodge crew cab short bed 4x4 with 230,000 on the clock for 15K. 5.9 cummins. He stopped me Friday and said he wants to sell it. Never rode in it but, it looks pretty good from a distance. Its tan. Just though about that. Not sure how you feel about dodges though.

biggin said:
I never thought about buying one that needed work. Hmm may be the way to go. Just out of curiosity, how much does it take to make a 6.0 "right"?

A shop like KEM is about 4500. That's about 1000 more than most shops because the heads they put back on your truck are completely reworked and O-RINGED. Which is the way most reputable shops go now. Once you oring those basterds they are DONE. No more blowed ****. A shop that's just checking yours and putting them back on is more like 3500. I actually found the main shop around Atlanta that's doing most of the 6.0 head work for all these shops and its 1000.00 if you take them a set to have worked and oringed.

Biggest thing is buy one and if it ain`t broke don`t fix it. Go ahead and get a monitor, a coolant filter, and put a 50.00 ford blue spring mod (all these a absolute must). If you driving a 6.0 without these three you are a fool and playing with fire. The coolant filter is getting all the casting sand that stops up oil coolers out of your motor and the blue spring mod is upping your fuel pressure back up to where it should be which is helping your injector life and the monitor is letting you see the important temps with in the motor so you know you have a problem before you cause engine damage. The gauges on the dash are dummy gauges just like other trucks they suck and by the time they start to move your in trouble fast.

Re: Re: 6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

biggin said:
The guy I mentioned in my post often buys messed up trucks. They fix them and then sale them. He is located right outside of atlanta. Give them a call. It's not a random person but a diesel shop.

Truckbroke thank you for all the information! Really appreciate it. Mortalis I'll look him up and see what they have to offer.

Buddy of mine has a F250 6.0 FX4 that has not had any issues yet that he is wanting to sell. I can get you some more info if you're interested.

Re: Re: 6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

biggin said:
All this will be used for is pulling a 6k pound camper and a jeep occasionally.
Not sure if this means you're pulling the jeep and the camper at the same time somehow but if they're seperate, have you considered a gasser? Those would be easy work with a modern gasser, save ya some money on the tow rig and put it in the trail rig?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk