• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

Re: Re: 6.4 powerstroke tow rig ???

onepieceatatime said:
Not sure if this means you're pulling the jeep and the camper at the same time somehow but if they're seperate, have you considered a gasser? Those would be easy work with a modern gasser, save ya some money on the tow rig and put it in the trail rig?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Not pulling at the same time. As soon as I typed that, i knew it didn't sound right lol. I had used a buddy of mine's 3500 with the 8.1 in it. It was probably an 04 or 05. It pulled like a train till it hit a hill. And it also cost me $200 in gas to go from Sevierville to Sparta (golden mountain) pulling a 25 foot gooseneck with my 4500 pound jeep on it. If that's the way the big blocks are ill have to pass.

Moparman get me some more info. I need a crew cab. I have a basketball team in kids.

biggin said:
Not pulling at the same time. As soon as I typed that, i knew it didn't sound right lol. I had used a buddy of mine's 3500 with the 8.1 in it. It was probably an 04 or 05. It pulled like a train till it hit a hill. And it also cost me $200 in gas to go from Sevierville to Sparta (golden mountain) pulling a 25 foot gooseneck with my 4500 pound jeep on it. If that's the way the big blocks are ill have to pass.

Moparman get me some more info. I need a crew cab. I have a basketball team in kids.

Will do. I've got 5 kids myself lol.

It isn't possible to get a 6.0 bullet proof I don't give 2 ****s what you do to it. A 7.3 or a 5.9 Cummins are both 800k + engines and you will not get that from a 6.0. I don't care if you o-ring the heads or what you do. It's the design. They have 4 head bolts per cylinder and studs or not it ain't enough to hold the boost + massive compression it takes to make them get down the hwy.

94Blazer327 said:
It isn't possible to get a 6.0 bullet proof I don't give 2 ****s what you do to it. A 7.3 or a 5.9 Cummins are both 800k + engines and you will not get that from a 6.0. I don't care if you o-ring the heads or what you do. It's the design. They have 4 head bolts per cylinder and studs or not it ain't enough to hold the boost + massive compression it takes to make them get down the hwy.

Stupid.. 800k my ****.. first off I don't like the term"bullet proof". Ain't nothing bullet proof. I don't know why people ever adapted that. There ain't nothing wrong with the design of the motor.. if you over tune it and abuse it yeah it's gonna fail. Just like a 7.3, 5.9, 6.7, or a pinto motor. Only exception might be a 12 valve (that's one over built ****er). You do proper mods/upgrades and treat the motor right it'll run with any motor. There's waaaay to many 6.0s out there right this second with 200-300k still kicking strong. One's in my driveway right now with 253 on the clock with original everything except stud work, egr delete and oil cooler replacement. Plenty others I personally know of doing the same thing. I bet you there ain't one motor on this ****ing earth that would hold up to 800k with my right foot and a good innovative tune.

I'm really impressed that you have a 250k 6.0 that you had to pile 3 grand or more into to get it to run that long. Good for you buddy. I've seen plenty of 5.9/7.3s roll through the shop with well over 600k on the clock.

94Blazer327 said:
I'm really impressed that you have a 250k 6.0 that you had to pile 3 grand or more into to get it to run that long. Good for you buddy. I've seen plenty of 5.9/7.3s roll through the shop with well over 600k on the clock.

How many times have the transmissions been rebuilt in those 600k 7.3/5.9 trucks?....lmao

All the trucks mentioned have their problems, just find something you like and roll with it......just don't buy a 6.4 - they get real expensive real fast

kboring said:
How many times have the transmissions been rebuilt in those 600k 7.3/5.9 trucks?....lmao

All the trucks mentioned have their problems, just find something you like and roll with it......just don't buy a 6.4 - they get real expensive real fast

You are right the rest of the truck falls apart around the engine

My neighbors 99 7.3 has almost 600,000 on it, one 6 speed tranny and 2 sets of injectors, one oil pan, motor has never been apart and still running strong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only first hand (ish) experience w a 6.4 is a buddy bought one for his hotshot business...

Kept it completely stock and drove it easy tho obviously towing heavy....

Popped two engines in under 50,000 miles... All of his other trucks go 200k+ before he trades em in...
Chevy, dodge, other fords.... Just not that 6.4...

We shopped for a 3rd engine (used) for a bit to drop in n sell the truck and found LOTS of trucks that needed em but very few engines n way over priced.

He sold it off only a couple years old for next to nothing after it sat in his driveway for a year or so.

Thanks guys for all the info. The 6.4 is out of the question now. A 6.0 may or may not make the cut. I guess it depends on if i can't find a good shape 7.3 or a 6.7 in my price range.

Buddy has a 2000 7.3 crew cab 130,000 miles. A grandpa owned it, then he bought it with 100 on it 6 years ago. Doesn't get much use and he's looking to buy a 2015 now that he has a sales job instead of his electrician job. That light maroon color, CCSB auto well taken care of, tan interior. Low teens in price. We are in KS though

kboring said:

Exactly.. kboring knows this first hand.. Especially when you drive one like a go-cart.. lol

94Blazer327 said:

Like I said pick your poison. Studs or a transmission. Or truck falls apart around a motor. Costing yo ass money either way. If you need a truck to last 600k miles yo ass probably don`t need a diesel.. ya broke ass needs a new job.. Your original comment was the by design the motor won`t last that long. I still say ..Stupid..

blacksheep10 said:
Buddy has a 2000 7.3 crew cab 130,000 miles. A grandpa owned it, then he bought it with 100 on it 6 years ago. Doesn't get much use and he's looking to buy a 2015 now that he has a sales job instead of his electrician job. That light maroon color, CCSB auto well taken care of, tan interior. Low teens in price. We are in KS though

Text me some pics or post em here? 8658042249

Jacksonwolf39 said:
Only one way to go.... LBZ Dmax!!! None of them can hold a candle to it. (Except maybe a 5.9) :stir:

Truck still falls apart and rusts away around motor.

Not near as fast as a Dodge, but still.

I'm done with the pissing contest after this . Most diesels have 6 head bolts per cylinder to keep them from blowing headgaskets. A 6 liter has 4. Bad by design. Period

All trucks do cost you money. It's just how much you want to spend and ho often you wanna spend it

I had a 2010 6.4 hauling my jeep and cattle truck was great except fuel mileage . I had it tuned and deleted at 20000 miles traded it for a cummins at 40000 . I deleted the cummins it get around 20 mpg empty . I liked the cab on the ford better but at least I can work on the cummins under the hood if needed .

I didn't start the thread for it to become a pissing contest but, you can't post something like this without getting all kinds of opinions. That being said. I'll never own another Chrysler, Fiat, or whatever they go by these days. And as for a Gm, my wife has an 08 tahoe and its something every day she complains about. It rattles like a mofo every little bump you hit.

biggin said:
I didn't start the thread for it to become a pissing contest but, you can't post something like this without getting all kinds of opinions. That being said. I'll never own another Chrysler, Fiat, or whatever they go by these days. And as for a Gm, my wife has an 08 tahoe and its something every day she complains about. It rattles like a mofo every little bump you hit.
I was gonna post about how I love that every tow rig thread turns into a pissing contest. I think it's just the nature of guys and trucks.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk