• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

7075 Aluminum Hex links

From a mathematical stand point, there is a very small strength increase in the 6 directions of the points of a hex as compared to the same size round. I wouldn't say it is enough to choose hex over round though. I just want hex to be like all the cool rock bouncer guys on here. :tc

... Unless its more expensive, then my cheap ass is getting round. :)

The 6061 hex is easy to get and it seems to be holding up under the rigs I've seen running it.

Elliott said:
The 6061 hex is easy to get and it seems to be holding up under the rigs I've seen running it.

IMO I would never run 6061 links. At just me....i've seen a bunch of them bend, break or split at the threads. Stay away from 6061. For the small cost savings you will be behind after you have to build a second set.

I have two very used 2-1/2" round 6061 links 45" long drilled and tapped for 1-1/4 heims ? $150
Also two 2" 25" long 6061 drilled and taped for 1-1/4 $75 (only one is bent)

al1tonyota said:
I have two very used 2-1/2" round 6061 links 45" long drilled and tapped for 1-1/4 heims ? $150
Also two 2" 25" long 6061 drilled and taped for 1-1/4 $75 (only one is bent)
not to mention there mashyer motor approved! thumb.gif

I bought 24 feet of 6061 t6 back when all the cool kids said it was the best. Then some one on pirate said 7075 was better. But I have not seen a failure that would not have happened anyway.

Elliott said:
It takes 3 times as long to cut in my saw as 6061 does.

I can't tell a Differance in my saw. But machining 7075
I can tell it is a lot stronger/ harder to machine.

I did not say it was not stronger, I just said that I have not seen real issues out of the lesser. Some one I know ran .120 upper links on a buggy for a long time and had little to no issue.