• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'76 w/304 Die's intermittently

kingkrawler

So.....a friend here at work has a '76 Jeep.

Orrig. 304, but rewired after engine comp fire a while back. (PO)

I've witnessed this:

Driving along, Jeep just die's....backfires a couple times, and then no spark....turns over, there's fuel when ya push the linkage, but no spark.

We wait about 10 minutes, and presto, it'll run again.

Electronic ignition.

Start curcuit is "aftermarket"......no key required, just turn steering collumn key and then press aftermarket momentary button.

When it's running, it runs great - no issues.

Thoughts or ideas?

Is this the Motorcraft style of HEI with a aluminum control module mounted on the drivers' fender, about 4 inches square, with a little blue plastic identifier where the wires enter the box?

Things to look for.

Check for bad grounds.
Check the wire that supplies 12v power to the coil. Often the original spade plug has been replaced, and the new plug has uncrimpted itself so that it's touching, but not tight. If so, recrimp it tighter until a replacement end can be added
Check for butt connects anywhere in the system. Look carefully for corresion.

If it's the module I described, they sometimes will die. In the early stages of dyin', they'll get hot and shut off, then cool off and run again. It's a precurser to total shutdown. Just replace that unit.

If I think of others, I'll re-edit this post

that module is what I had to replace in my dad's jeep when his did the same thing...

when you replace it, make darn sure you get a good ground on the unit...:;

I had the same thing happen to me. I put in a DUI dist. and it kick ass I have had the thing covered in mud/water it didn't miss once. plus it use a chev dist cap.:awesomework:

It has the Presto-no-lite ignition in '76 (Gold box) and the connector at the dist (2 prong plug) is just corroded enough to lose signal. Factory/dealer fix was to cut the plug off and solder the wires together in pairs.

That or go with a slightly earlier points dist and Mopar ignition coil for more spark (that's what I put in my '73 J4000. Never failed to start in 5 years) It takes a GM points cap and rotor and you won't even have to change out the plug wires! Just make sure the power is resistored to the + on the coil and the I connector on the solenoid is hooked to the + on the coil as well (that will give you 12VDC while cranking to boost the spark)