• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

80 Yota looking for new engine suggestions

Newman1

I have an 80 yota that had a 20R in it, blew it last fall and the machine shop says it'll be $1150 to rebuild. I'm not looking to put a grand into an engine that is such a pansy, I'm working with a budget of about $1500 I've been thinking about putting a 22re in it, any suggestions that would get me a better bang for my buck? I have all the parts off a blown 22r, and have fuel injection off of a 22re. So essentially I'm working with a 20r that needs everything and a 22r that has already been bored .030....:mad:

I would stay with the 4cyl and rebuild it with the 22r propane You can find a rebuild kit for them on ebay for pretty cheep.
I put a 4.3 vortec in mine and wish I would have stayed with the 4cyl and went with propane.

I had this same problem when I repowered my wheeler. I came across a celica with a running 22r for $300. I pulled the engine and completely resealed it, and its still going strong today. I parted the celica and made my $300 back to boot. Im currently running propane right now and im very pleased with it.

Sold a long time ago.

For a grand pick up a EFI 2x and rob all the parts you need from it and resell the leftovers. By the time you're done you'll have little invested and a lot more power.

True, the price for a complete 22re setup is really cheap these days.

Options

2rz - easy with the correct bell housing
3rz- easy with the correct bell housing
5mge - medium with the correct bell housing, radiator is the problem.
7mge - medium with the correct bell housing, radiator is the problem.
5vz-fe - medium differnt tranny and may require a body lift of some sort.
1 uz - Unknow at this point, ask White Trash

Those are all toyota options, there are more toyota options but those you can bolt things together, makes it simple.

4.3---GREAT powerplant but not cheap.

2rz and 3rz are both great motors...

Agreed, the 4.3 is about as perfect of a match to the toyota drivetrain as you can get. The high cost of them is all in the adapters, I can pretty much fart out a 4.3 complete for $500. I WISH I could do that with 3rz's but their increased cost comes at the lack of adapter expense. I think it's a wash in the end overall.

Options

2rz - easy with the correct bell housing
3rz- easy with the correct bell housing
5mge - medium with the correct bell housing, radiator is the problem.
7mge - medium with the correct bell housing, radiator is the problem.
5vz-fe - medium differnt tranny and may require a body lift of some sort.
1 uz - Unknow at this point, ask White Trash

Those are all toyota options, there are more toyota options but those you can bolt things together, makes it simple.
Guy at my work has a 5 speed 1UZ in his 2nd gen 4Runner. Just got the exhaust done about 2 weeks ago. Pretty sweet, tight fit, but works out well for the most part.

~T.J.

I have an 80 yota that had a 20R in it, blew it last fall and the machine shop says it'll be $1150 to rebuild. I'm not looking to put a grand into an engine that is such a pansy, I'm working with a budget of about $1500 I've been thinking about putting a 22re in it, any suggestions that would get me a better bang for my buck? I have all the parts off a blown 22r, and have fuel injection off of a 22re. So essentially I'm working with a 20r that needs everything and a 22r that has already been bored .030....:mad:

if you have the early modle tall block put that 20r head on it and off set grind your crank and shave your piston to build a stroker(little more involved than that). found the machining specs on pirate a while ago and am getting ready to build one for myself. Run it on propane and build a race gas only motor and stomp on it!

I have a good running, complete still together 22re, couple of harness's a computer, new in box head gasket set, new in box timing chain, extra intake with 91 harness, few throttle bodies, fuse panel.... Most everything you would need. 500$ best option is 22re.