• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

81 toy carb issue

shane416ex

I hit a big bump at work yesterday after work in the quarry, the left front may have caught some air. As soon as I did, the truck quit idling. It will run with the foot lightly on the gas. I got her home, started it this morn and she fired right up until fully warm and she died again. I'm going to tinker after work today, any thoughts on a good start? Seems like an obvious carb issue. I'm not a complete idiot, just was looking for potential insight. 1981 Toyota, bone stock.

Hi all,

I don't know anything about the stock Toyota carbs that came on the 20/22R engines, but on the Aisin built carb on the 2F (Land Cruiser) engine there is an idle solenoid circuit (IIRC.)

At the base of the carb, firewall side, a wire sticks out of the carb. This is the idle solenoid wire. If it becomes disconnected (or fails) the 2F won't want to idle.

It is a long-shot, but maybe take a look on your Toyota carb.

Good luck!

Alan

yes the idle fuel cut solenoid. iv never had one fail on me but if you unscrew it from the carb there is a little o ring on the end of it. i have had issues with those. if the o ring gets tore or has a flat spot the symptom is the truck wont idle well if at all and it will die every time you come to a stop. unless you keep your on the gas.