• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Cj7 steering issues

demontang

Ao ive got a custom set up cj7. Has a wagooner dana 44 leaf front steering is all hiem joints. The damn thing has the death wobble and im at a loss. New poly bushing every where but the front rear spring eyes, alignment is good, steering box is tight, doesnt matter what psi the tires are it it will start at about 30-35mph. Down to thinking its the tires. 35 13.5r15 pitbull rockers bias.

Have you checked your caster angles??
I had this problem on my CJ5.
Found out that the caster angles were too much when it was set up.
Once that was addressed, I no longer had the wobble of death

Castor angels are definitely important. I believe with bias ply tires you want close to 0 castor. Death wobble affects linked vehicles more so than leaf sprung rigs, just look at tj's and xj's. Either way you will need a trac bar though.

Some good advice in here and some bullshit to

Lay them balljoints back at 4-6 degrees if you wanna cruise. Driveline will be ****ed unless you cut and turn knuckles.

Halfassery drives good but wheels bad, or wheels good but drives bad.
Wholeassery can drive AND wheel good.

Spend some loot. Cut some ****.
Bad geometry can happen with links to.

Usually folks that cant figure out deathwobble by the third light beer powered mud truck are going to build a dandy of a link setup garrunteeed to work as slick as greased owl snot.

But them new links will look coolasfuck flexed out on a stump. ; )

Some good advice in here and some bullshit to

Lay them balljoints back at 4-6 degrees if you wanna cruise. Driveline will be ****ed unless you cut and turn knuckles.

Halfassery drives good but wheels bad, or wheels good but drives bad.
Wholeassery can drive AND wheel good.

Spend some loot. Cut some ****.
Bad geometry can happen with links to.

Usually folks that cant figure out deathwobble by the third light beer powered mud truck are going to build a dandy of a link setup garrunteeed to work as slick as greased owl snot.

But them new links will look coolasfuck flexed out on a stump. ; )

But will they really be able to drive up the stump.. maybe put an ls in it?.. that fixes everything too

Caster is a 6deg. Has internal bead locks on alum rims. It wheels ok but id like to drive the thing around not just have to tow it to the trail head lol.

Did you cut and turn the knuckles?

It's hard to believe that you have 6 degrees and a decent front driveshaft angle with a WAGGY axle.

Waggy axles were spring under and have one of the worst pinion angles around when used in a lifted or spring over app.

Did you cut and turn the knuckles?

It's hard to believe that you have 6 degrees and a decent front driveshaft angle with a WAGGY axle.

Waggy axles were spring under and have one of the worst pinion angles around when used in a lifted or spring over app.
Meh... I haven't found to many waggy axles that need knuckles cut and turned.. lol that's Toyota life

The hole rig was built from the ground up and everything was set then. I didnt do the work but talk to who did every day. He set the caster to be at 6deg when they did the front axle. Im thinking it might be the tires, I dont have the ability to swap them and see right now though. Im not really a jeep or chevy guy lol.

Straight , no toe on a straight axle.

Just cuz ya talk to him everyday doesn't mean he did it right.

Either fix geometry, sloppy parts are just man up and mob that botch thru the 30-38mph zone till she smooths out.

Dont blame tires tho for a sloppy or crooked rig.

I drive a chevy truck with 44 TSLs on it and 14" of lift and it has NO death wobble and drives GREAT.

Sometimes my wife even drives it to work.

No have not spent much time with it. Toe is 3/16" in, ive measured everything that can be and its all good. When i get a chance im going to take the frontend out and throw new ball joints, heims, springs etc under it