• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

8274 wiring

jeepn

Anybody know how change the wiring from a 3 pin to a 5 pin on a Warm 8274? I bought a wireless controller for the winch but it won't work with the 3 pin set-up. I have a late model winch that should have been 5 pin but wasn't. Got to be a way to change it over. Thanks

only hook up three pins.

on the other end of the controller rewire it to 3 pin.:awesomework:

the 8274 only needs three wires to work. it cant handle 5.

jeese im not the person to give wiring advice...:haha:

but thats how i see it the three wires are 12 v in to switch and 12v out or in depending on the switch position.

on the 5-pin remotes, the extras are grounds.

it was introduced in the later models to supposedly make it 'safer' by making it harder to just short across a couple pins to engage the winch...

do a google search and there are TONS of pages of information for the wiring diagrams and pin-outs for the remotes..

here is a typical 8274 wiring diagram (3-wire)... maybe it will help you..

8274schematic.jpg

Last edited:
and here is a snippit from a post on another forum that a guy was doing the same basic thing..

although this was to make a incab switch, but teh principle should be the same for what you are trying to do...

maybe it will help too..

OK, I had to rewire it using the ground wire (brown) on the winch solenoid pack for it to work. Here is how it has to be wired to work, as I already tried it with just applying power to the IN or OUT wires and it won't work that way:

DPTD Momentary Switch:
Side 1:
Top: OUT Wire (black)
Middle: 12v unswitched or switched power
Bottom: IN Wire (green)

Side 2:
Top: Solenoid ground wire (brown)
Middle: To frame ground
Bottom: Solenoid ground wire (brown)

In order to activate the 5-pin equipped winch, the solenoids must be grounded and 12v must be applied to the IN or OUT wire. If power is only applied, nothing happens as the solenoids are not grounded. The ground wire in the solenoid pack (the brown one that is run to the remote) is grounded when the remote is used to the red wire which is connected to the motor ground post and grounds on the battery in the end.

It appears as though WARN, for some reason, changed from the 3- to the 5-pin setup for the remote in order to add the grounding function where there is no ground when the switch is is the neutral position and the ground is made when it is in use.

Hope that helps someone out! The in-cab controls are great!!