• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 4Runner Auto Tranny T-Case Issues

jprcrpr94

I got an 85 4Runner with the auto. It won't shift into 2hi. It shifts from 4lo to 4hi but no 2hi. I've checked the linkage and everything is fine there. I've heard it's a solenoid that goes bad. Anyone have any experience with this or any ideas?:scratchhead:

Even though its an AT, Alldata docent show anything in there but your standard toy t-case style manual shift linkage.
I would pull the shifter arm out of the t-case and look for damage to the shift arm & or the pieces it makes contact with.

Even though its an AT, Alldata docent show anything in there but your standard toy t-case style manual shift linkage.
I would pull the shifter arm out of the t-case and look for damage to the shift arm & or the pieces it makes contact with.

The autos are different than the manuals. They have linkage running the top, then drop down and run the bottom to an arm connected to an electronic box.

The autos are different than the manuals. They have linkage running the top, then drop down and run the bottom to an arm connected to an electronic box.

I dont doubt that, Alldata like most paid for info now a-days is not all that reliable for stuff like this.:mad: alot of the time it requires a call and a fax or email from them to get the right info, even then most times it's shady info at best.
:eeek:

wish I could be more help but that's all I got to work with.

Last edited:
I dont doubt that, Alldata like most paid for info now a-days is not all that reliable for stuff like this.:mad: alot of the time it requires a call and a fax or email from them to get the right info, even then most times it's shady info at best.
:eeek:

Yeah, I've used Alldata. It works SOMETIMES. Oh well.

Yeah, I've used Alldata. It works SOMETIMES. Oh well.

I am pretty busy at the shop this week, but you can P/m me Monday if you dont know what to try next by then. I will look thru some wiring diagrams and try to find that control unit to maybe see how it works, cause I'm curious myself.

I am pretty busy at the shop this week, but you can P/m me Monday if you dont know what to try next by then. I will look thru some wiring diagrams and try to find that control unit to maybe see how it works, cause I'm curious myself.

I'm gonna take it to my buddy's shop tomorrow. He's never not known the answer to anything I've asked him. I swear he's got a friggin' library in his head! If I don't get it figured out though, I will definitely PM you! Thanks!!:awesomework: