• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 cj7 258 inline 6 wiring issues..Help!

wcompton

Ok guys, i gutted all the wiring out of my cj7...my buddy said he could make it run from scratch, so i did it with confidence that it was going to run again.. we got the motor turning over with a push button but it will not fire.. its getting gas so i know its somewhere between battery,coil,distributer etc. Can someone draw/explain how to make the loop and get this thing running again? Apparently we are doing something wrong..keep in mind there is NO factory wiring left besides lights, thanks in advance for the help!

What type of ignition system does it have. The old ford dura spark will be hard to do without that box and wiring harness. Or you can get a HEI for less than 100$ for it and wiring is really simple. Also what type of carb because the 85 had one that ran with a computer, but never seen any that would run right with that setup.

Not sure on the ignition, it has a webber 2 barrel, and the previous owner did away with the computer and ran a points ignition

I would think you can eliminate the battery if it will turn over while pushing the start button. How are you getting power to the coil? Do you have a master switch that turns everything on and off or is everything always on? How did you ground everything? Without some idea of how you wired the system it is hard to say where a possible problem may be.