• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

87 tbi 454

A TBI is a great replacement for a carb on a wheeler with a straight six.

But they have NO place in a performance application.

And any TBI chevy rig (tow or play) will make MORE power and eat less fuel with a good tuned CARB. Ive owned them all. My last truck was a jimmy dually with a tbi 454. Before that a yukon with a TBI 350.

A TBI is only an exceptable upgrade if you are looking for runability in a wheeler and power is not really a concern.

If I know Darren's tastes, it will be for HORSEPOWER.

Also dune play and heavy ass engines just dont go together.

LS LS LS LS. PS NotSoPc, a new 5.3 even will shmoke a tbi 454 towing or playing.

1987 454 = 230HP. 700 lbs

newer cheapo 5.3 = 300-350hp, 500lbs for iron truck engine

So 200 lbs heavier and 100hp less is much better huh?

That 5.3 (or any of the new SBCs) have WAY better cranks, rods, internal fasteners, roller cam, decent pistons, etc.

The jetboat guys have had great luck tossing a stock cheap 5.3 in a beating the **** out of them. Jetboats love TQ and RPMs.

Resale will be better/easier with the modern engine too.

Just my .02

I think you missed what I wrote all together. Never said the TBI was better, or that it had more power then an LS. I said you can't compare an LS to an 80's TBI motor cause they are two different worlds. I have dealt with both and know the LS is a better power maker. He was asking about the 454 TBI not about LS motors.

I am throwing the bottle on whatever I put in and just plan to romp around in it in the snow, dunes, ect. Really up in the air on this one.

This to me says SBC. The BBC is a heavy motor and would not lend well to a mild rig in the sand. If you have run the LS motors in the past then why not go that way?

This to me says SBC. The BBC is a heavy motor and would not lend well to a mild rig in the sand. If you have run the LS motors in the past then why not go that way?

Because I was trying to use what I have even though I know it is less than ideal.

Because I was trying to use what I have even though I know it is less than ideal.

Makes sense. I would look into a trade for a 350. Someone a few posts back offered a TBI 350 for trade. I would look into it. The weight would be better for what you are wanting to do.

Sorry but this part is absolutely wrong. Don't confuse a TBI engine with throttle body injection....

What ya mean? TBI= throttle body injection? Did I miss something?

TBI engines are not for HP. Maybe they can. But at what cost? compared to what?

What ya mean? TBI= throttle body injection? Did I miss something?

TBI engines are not for HP. Maybe they can. But at what cost? compared to what?

What I mean is the GM TBI engines were lethargic Non performing engines, this is true. "TBI" is just a fuel/ spark delivery system,TBI does have a place in performance applications......
An engines performance and or economy if it's running at it's peak ability can't be improved by simply changing the fuel delivery system. Basically it requires x amount of fuel/air under a given situation and if the fuel delivery is correct then that's that. The great thing about the electronic systems like TBI is they're nearly infinitely adjustable where you can get the delivery perfect where a carb is a compromise at some point....
Don't get me wrong, carbs have they're place but so does electronic injection.:cool: