• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

vortec 4.3 TBI help

Gooseleg

I recently bought a sami buggy off here starts right up everytime but seems when the engine warms up it wants to run rough and/or die or just under a load possibly? haven't been able to run it too much around the house.. Already changed a clogged fuel filter and going to replace an old worn out fuel cell tomorrow.. Anybody had this issue before ? Trying to get it dialed in before Shamrock any help would be greatly appreciated!! could it be the fuel system from the foam in the old cell or am I looking in the wrong direction I guess is the question.. thanks in advance

Haven't done much research on that one but it does have vortec on the valve covers and its not the center bolt type its also definitely throttle body may not be a true vortec either way but seems the 4.3 was "vortec" all the way back in the early 90s but ill take a look at that everythings pointing to electrical maybe a sensor, distributor cap etc. but the foam in the fuel cell was so broken up I was hoping id have an easy fix on my hands im thinking otherwise now!! thanks for the input guys coolant temp sensor, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires will be getting replaced this weekend

Gooseleg said:
Haven't done much research on that one but it does have vortec on the valve covers and its not the center bolt type its also definitely throttle body may not be a true vortec either way but seems the 4.3 was "vortec" all the way back in the early 90s but ill take a look at that everythings pointing to electrical maybe a sensor, distributor cap etc. but the foam in the fuel cell was so broken up I was hoping id have an easy fix on my hands im thinking otherwise now!! thanks for the input guys coolant temp sensor, distributor cap, rotor button, plugs and wires will be getting replaced this weekend

How many bolts hold the intake manifold to the cylinder heads? Get an AC Delco cts and make sure the coolant is full and air free

muddinmetal said:
Is it a vortec motor, or tbi? Is it a vortec headed tbi motor? I'd look closely at the coolant temp sensor on a tbi motor

X3

First thing I thought when I read it. Had two of my customers have the same thing happen this year.

I wanna say 10 not looking at it this very second and yes coolant is full and burped. I guess that narrows it down was gone do plugs wires cap button and a good oil change anyways but will definitely pick up a coolant temp sensor its mine boggling gauge never reads over 160 when running like crap though but thank yall for the input

Gooseleg said:
I wanna say 10 not looking at it this very second and yes coolant is full and burped. I guess that narrows it down was gone do plugs wires cap button and a good oil change anyways but will definitely pick up a coolant temp sensor its mine boggling gauge never reads over 160 when running like crap though but thank yall for the input

Coolant temp sensor and the Coolant temp sending unit are 2 different things. One is for the EFI, one is for the gauge.

Also, if you aren't running over 160, put a thermostat in the thing. the EFI wants to run at a certain temp, otherwise it's never going to go into closed loop (or may be trying to go into closed loop and making it run shitty)

TBItoy said:
Coolant temp sensor and the Coolant temp sending unit are 2 different things. One is for the EFI, one is for the gauge.

Also, if you aren't running over 160, put a thermostat in the thing. the EFI wants to run at a certain temp, otherwise it's never going to go into closed loop (or may be trying to go into closed loop and making it run shitty)

Agreed again a 180 thermostat is a minimum on a tbi system

I don't mean to derail but I have a 98 4.3 that never gets over 155 but runs good? Could it run better at 180-210? All stock motor except some kind of different intake that came with the junkyard motor same as stock but no egr. Only code it has is egr insufficient flow.

4.3 thermostats suck balls, stock, aftermarket, whatever, I was getting about a year out of one before it stuck open. :gtfo: Swapped them out in my brother in laws blazer a couple times as well. It makes absolutly no sense to me why I go through them so much. :dunno:

Anyway, another vote for a cts. Check your fuel pressure when you get it running again.

I am having similar problems with my 4.3, it is tripping "random miss fire codes". runs fine until temp gets up and runs like **** under load

Ight guys thanks for the help I changed the cts along with alot more junk just for a good tune up anyhow ran it a while last night tore up the yard etc got temp to 185 fan is wired straight on and off but it ran alot different so maybe things are good hard to tell right now will be at shamrock! ! Hopefully I can try this thing out