• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

89 S10 build for rocks

the s10 is a very underutilized platform. you toy guys think your **** is made of gold, and jack up the prices of anything that has anything to do with toyota. while i can get s10 stuff for near free all day long. trust me, i am very content with my s10 stuff. you can have your toyota's, i will stick to my s10's. this way everyone is happy.

the s10 is a very underutilized platform. you toy guys think your **** is made of gold, and jack up the prices of anything that has anything to do with toyota. while i can get s10 stuff for near free all day long. trust me, i am very content with my s10 stuff. you can have your toyota's, i will stick to my s10's. this way everyone is happy.

Easy big fella--I just threw some input from years of building and even building on s-10's and working around chevs for 18 years.....

And who said I have a toy.....

Easy big fella--I just threw some input from years of building and even building on s-10's and working around chevs for 18 years.....

no, im good.:D i got no hard feelings. if you could see my face when i wrote that, i had a smirk.:flipoff:

true enough, the only thing toy left is the hood and fenders.:fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

donahuey:

I'm running springs front and rear, sorry to confuse you, although i don't know if you know much about the s-10 frame stuff, but they did SORT of used to build a front spring hanger, that required some mods to it.... but i dont think it's that bad, since you don't have to remount the body onto the toy frame.

Last edited:
i would rather do suspension work than swap a fuelie motor. the s10 provides a good sart if you plan on doing axles. I like the shaved axle ideas too. :awesomework:

thanks for turning down the oppurtunity to spend money when not needed.

people seem to think 4x4 need to be built like streetrods. more trucks need cheap/free junk on them. you can find a million s10 trucks at the pullapart. a toyota motor costs more than a driving s10.:redneck:

spend a little money were its needed on drivetrain and tires. then KEEP IT CHEAP.:cheer:

I think this hobby gets too much ---- YOU SHOULDA, WHYDIDJA, WTF, HOWCOMES.

youll see, you wont find many of the mouths on the trail. there busy wheeling a 5+ rated keyboard.:fawkdancesmiley: :fawkdancesmiley:

at least someone gets it. my last "build" all i ever did was build. it never got finished. it would look impressive i guess in a sig line "85k5/350/700/241/205/60/14/4.56" blah blah blah. the truth is nothing ever came of it, because i cared to much what everyone else thought to the point that i started altering my ideas to make it "better". screw that, now i am building this thing to get it out of that garage and on the trail. sure something will break, but wheres the fun and that challenge if your stuff is too good?

at least someone gets it. my last "build" all i ever did was build. it never got finished. it would look impressive i guess in a sig line "85k5/350/700/241/205/60/14/4.56" blah blah blah. the truth is nothing ever came of it, because i cared to much what everyone else thought to the point that i started altering my ideas to make it "better". screw that, now i am building this thing to get it out of that garage and on the trail. sure something will break, but wheres the fun and that challenge if your stuff is too good?

thats what my friend said about his rig:haha: " i just want to get it out and i don't care what people think" ..... it's a death trap, poor welds, poor design, and most of all , it isn't SAFE!

so heed my warning about "getting it done to go".... take your time, do it right... whether it be influenced by others or yourself....

Ya Know>>>>>

That is true I hate the blah blah too ....sometimes. another thing is to not put your rig on here..BUT if you did that ...it would not give you the opproytunity(WTF) (sorry don't want to stop typing this) to WEED through some of these potentially GOOD ideas...However the weigh in on spending money goes to the capable...ding ding...If you have a good Idea but need the engineers to slap you in the back of the head to tell you "yer gunna kill yerself boy" then that comes more into play in the initial design.. Leaf coil link blah blah chopper. Nowadays there is too much information "flying" around for even a newbee or part timer to throw the money in that direction and ..getrdun.. If you can't afford to play golf then watch it on tv. if you want to play golf play it and not sit on the f*n couch and say you can! JUST DO WHAT YOU WANT BUT SAFE! overbuilding! is GOOOOOOOD! LOL see? NOW stop f*n around and finish this thing I wanna see it.:corn:

i also just found out that i am running about 7" of lift
smokin.gif

updates

i did a little cut and burn on my real estate. now where there was once wedge bushings and panhard bar mounts and leaf perches, there is clean!
PIC_0313.sized.jpg

PIC_0456.sized.jpg

PIC_0458.sized.jpg

PIC_0459.sized.jpg

let me tell you, there is definitely a right way and a wrong way to take the wedges off. i think i found all of the wrong ways before i found the easy way. it seems they are only welded at the very top and the very bottom, not around the tube at all. so all you really need to do is cut the welds off, and they fall right off. and of course my 14b had the cast perches, i guess that is what i get for saying they were a piece of cake to take off. anyways, they put up a little fight but i won in the end.

getting back on topic, the night was still young so i kept on working. i threw my spring up for those that were wondering. just imagine it a little more off the axle tube height wise.
PIC_0460.sized.jpg

anyways, i busted out the old sharpie and tape measure and started mapping out where everything was going. my spring plates are about as wide as they can be on the axle, they are touching the welds for the inner c. i did this so i can have room for my upper link tower on the drivers side next to the pumpkin.
PIC_0464.sized.jpg

i soon realized that i still didnt have much room on the short side, so i made a executive decision to run the link tower partially on the cast pumpkin. i did this so i would have good room to get good welds on all the components.
PIC_0465.sized.jpg

this meant that i had to fit one of the link tower sides to the housing. i used a piece of cardboard to make a template.
PIC_0461.sized.jpg

here is the final shape
PIC_0462.sized.jpg

here it is fitted to the housing
PIC_0463.sized.jpg

i went ahead and started tacking things on to get a better idea of how it will all work together.
PIC_0466.sized.jpg

PIC_0467.sized.jpg

PIC_0468.sized.jpg

PIC_0469.sized.jpg

PIC_0471.sized.jpg

PIC_0470.sized.jpg

you can see my caster and my pinion angle in the last pic, that is how it will be in the truck. caster is dialed in at 6* and the pinion points up nicely.

well, i decided to tackle the gear boxes tonight. i needed to get my doubler in before i can figure out my rear pinion angle. anyways...

so i had a spare t5 ready to put in when i had the chance because my old one grinds a lot in 4th. well, i broke it (the spare one) trying to put it in after inspecting my clutch. i didnt have the angle quite right, and when i was trying to draw it in, i broke the pilot bearing portion off. on top of that i also broke an ear off of the bell housing.
PIC_0488.JPG

PIC_0489.JPG

the good news was my clutch as in good shape.
PIC_0473.JPG

PIC_0475.JPG

PIC_0472.JPG

PIC_0476.JPG

anyways, i ended up slapping the old trans back in with a spare bell housing i luckily had. then i went ahead and put the doubler in place. i still need to clock it up more, but this gives me a good idea of the condition of the rear drive shaft. it looks like it will be really short, about 26" from u-joint to u-joint.
PIC_0480.JPG

PIC_0485.JPG

PIC_0486.JPG

and finally, my rear shaft angles
PIC_0483.JPG

i had to clock the 241 up a bit to keep a flat belly. the s10 drivetrain slopes down a lot as it goes to the rear. but, this helps my driveline clearance so i am happy with it.

my gear boxes
PIC_0496.sized.jpg

the belly clearance
PIC_0497.sized.jpg

PIC_0498.sized.jpg

how much i had to clock up the second case
PIC_0499.sized.jpg

PIC_0500.sized.jpg