• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9" gear pattern check.

hokie_yj

This is my first time ever doing gears. Looking for some opinions on this pattern. It's a yukon 9" 3rd with yukon 5.13 gears. Backlash is a consistent .009" checked in about 8 places around the ring gear. Pinion shim is a .014". I used a pry bar between the ring and the case to load the gear for the pattern check. This is going in my rear engine buggy so it will be in an upside down application.

To me it looks decent, but again this is my first time so I'm looking for more opinions.

I think that looks a lot better, I would run it. I saw your post on pirate as well, throw it back up overthere and see what the others say, but I think its good.

9" gear pattern check.

yjwrangler95 said:
I think that looks a lot better, I would run it. I saw your post on pirate as well, throw it back up overthere and see what the others say, but I think its good.

I posted it there with .011" as well as someone said to take a couple more out. So I'm at .009" now.

I honestly don't see much difference between the two.

I cant see the pics at work, but I would focus on the coast side of the teeth for the front axle, as this will be where they are primarily running.

Re: 9" gear pattern check.

Here's where I ended up. Pinion shim is at .019". The backlash loosened up to a little over .010" but I think it will be ok.

your good, see the half moon shape, centered with a slight bit of paint showing boards the outside of the tooth. run it.

9" gear pattern check.

Thanks for the help man. Had a couple people respond on Pirate and say it looked good too. I got everything torqued down with loctite red. Now I just hope the other one I have to do turns out decent too.

Thanks man.

It's a solid spacer. I can't remember what the measurement was on it. It's just the spacer though if I added any of the shins at all, even a .002", there was no pre-load at all on the pinion bearings. With just the spacer pre-load was about 20 in./lbs.

You are using way to much paste on it. Try thinning it out and then checking it again, to much of it and it will lie to you.

9" gear pattern check.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try that tomorrow and see how it looks.

The reason the paste looks so thick is because I added a little white lithium grease after the first pattern check. The marking compound was drying out a little bit so I added a little grease.

Adding little gear oil to the paint helps too.

Going to be a strong setup. Lots of nice parts.

Re:

I agree with above. Good pattern. From what I hear backlash is what makes the 9" live or die. A lot I've read are a little tighter.

I would like to have the backlash a little tighter but the ring gear is BARELY clearing the pinion pilot bearing housing now, and that's after I tore it all back apart and ground and filed on it to get the clearance I have now. I'm afraid if I try to move the ring gear over anymore it will be hitting again.

I made some adjustments today and got the backlash down to .009". A few of the teeth just barely drag on the pinion pilot bearing housing now.

I checked the backlash in several spots and it's consistent so I don't think runout is an issue. It doesn't lock it down and I can still easily turn the yoke by hand. You can just feel it barely drag as the teeth rub. I'm tempted to just leave it and see if it won't clearance itself. Is that a stupid idea?

Here you can see where it's dragging on the toe.

So do I tear it back apart and grind more, or just go with it?

As much as I don't want to I'm gonna tear it back apart and grind some more on the pilot bearing housing. These are Yukon gears in a Yukon case, you'd think they would have their **** together enough to make sure there's enough clearance in there. ::)

Your last pattern looks pretty good, but those telling you to pull shims out Dont know how to set up gears, because in the first picture it was obvious it needed more shims. Definitely pull it out and clearance the third member where the gear touches. You need a minimum of .030"