• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9" gear pattern check.

Do you know anyone with a pinion depth tool?I bet something is not right or it would not be rubbing. Where are you located? Maybe someone on here is close to you and could check it for you.

9" gear pattern check.

Elliott said:
Do you know anyone with a pinion depth tool?I bet something is not right or it would not be rubbing. Where are you located? Maybe someone on here is close to you and could check it for you.

No, I don't know of anyone that has one. I'm in Surgoinsville, TN. About 1.5hrs east of Knoxville.

It was a slow night at work last night I did a lot of searching and reading. Apparently this is pretty common when you put deeper gears in a 9". Since the pinion is smaller in diameter and the ring gear is thicker it causes clearance issues.

I think I'm actually going to pull the carrier back out and grind the toe of the ring gear down a little bit and just be careful to go slow and not get it too hot. There's actually a note about this problem in the tech section on Randy's Ring & Pinion's website and grinding the ring gear is their suggested fix. Since it's on the toe and away from the contact pattern I think it will be fine. The casting is kinda thin there at the pilot bearing housing and they say if you grind on it too much it can crack.

I appreciate all the help and input though. I'm on graveyard through Friday morning so it may be a day or two before I get to tear it apart. But I will post back with what I come up with.

Re: 9" gear pattern check.

I didn't really take many pics but I tore the 3rd back apart today and ground the ring gear toe down just a bit. I went ahead and did the ring gear for the other 3rd as well.

I got the first one put back together. The ring gear clears good now, and the backlash and pattern both look good. I also got the other 3rd set up today but I didn't take any pics of it. It looks identical to the first one though.

My Yukon 3rd had the same issue with the ring gear rub. I just clearanced the case and have never had any issues.

Yeah, apparently it's a pretty common thing. I clearanced the case first but it still rubbed. A few minutes with a flap wheel on the ring gear and it clears good now.