• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9" gears

Welderd

so I broke the rear ring and pinion on my buggy and I need to replace it

I'm a little shocked it broke with such an underpowered engine but oh well. It was a full third from a race shop. I believe it was ACE manufacturing that built the whole 3rd. I cheaped out and bought a full spool 35 spline 3rd but not a nodular with big bearings. it's got one of those special 35spline spools to work in a refurbished stock case. I figured that would break first since the spools bearing journals get pretty thin.

But I'm thinking that the gears might have been wrong for the application - too hard and meant for long racing apps??? I'm not too knowledgable on the circle track stuff so I don't know if they even do what I'm thinking

what should I get to replace it?
where's a good place to buy 9" offroad stuff from

I'd like to get a nodular case and either a arb or some type of locker but I might not be able to swing it right now.
And my #1 goal is reliability
I see people with AL 9" cases, ARB's and detroits
I hear bad things about AL 9" cases and ARB's - what's fact and what's fiction?
are the detroits reliable?

I have been told that Moser is one of the best for the 9" stuff. With that said I got my center section from them and I am running a Spool because the ARB's and detroits don't hold up from what I have seen.
DSC00217.jpg

putting this here for info and to keep track for myself

got the 3rd from Pro motor sports in wichita, ks and they got it from http://www.ace-mfg.com/html/modules/news/
Talked to Ron Ruff there and he remembers me ordering it

std gear 8620 extremely hard
pro gear 9310 soft but strong - can't take heat cycles well and will wear out quick - he was talking like it couldn't run a 50 mile race or if it did it would be done

He also spoke of desert guys out west running ford 10" stuff but a gear set for that was $900, says there's guys making cases, spools and stuff to run the bigger gear

I'm thinking I might try the 9310 stuff - I mean my rig isn't exactly setup for long racing anyway and never really could be

I have run Richmond (Pro street ?) gears from Summit Racing in all my 3rd members. No failures to date. Now running Richmonds in both my HI 9's.

Call this guy......he'll either send ya what you need at a good price or build you a 3rd with the right stuff. I'd be willing to bet the gear set you broke was a cheapo set ( I broke a couple myself).
His name is Chase Perry, he's one of the few vendors I've found in our hobby that actually does what he's says he's going to do, within the time he said he'd do it.

Eastcoastgearsupply.com
919-672-2705

from talking with a few companies it doesn't sound like anyone is running the "comp" gears but I coulda sworn that some guys were changing unbroken gears 3-4 times a year in comp buggys

they also sound like the "comp" softer gears would be better for this type of application but no one has any idea of the life span. I'm kinda thinking that we don't put alot of miles or heat on the gears for the type of use that I do. they may be worth a shot but an expensive wear item

I'm gotta learn to set these up

what's anyone's opinion on running different ratios front to rear

I called chase and he was very helpful, hope to give him some business here soon. He said toyotas are running 5.29 rear and 5.38 front no problems
that's a 1.7% diff. I'd like to run a lower gear in the rear axle to eliminate push and help steering and I've heard some comp guys are doing it but no one's talking about what ratios and percent differences they are getting away with.

I have a 205 tcase so I'd hope that I couldn't hurt it but the only gear available for the 9" would be a 4.30 ratio. so i'd have 4.30 rear and 4.10 front for a 4.76% diff. Think it would work?

Toy guys run that cuz 4.88's with anything over 35" tires and a 22RE for a driver is horrible and 5.38 is all you can do with 5.29's out back.

IMO keep it the same ratio if at all possible.

I know why toy guys do it, but I think it would help in both crawling and racing for the vehicle to not "push" from the rear but still be pushing if that makes sense

there was a rig for sale a while back on pirate with 4.10's front and 4.27 rear or something like that but I can't for the life of me find it. they mentioned a competitor that did it also and had a d300 and would do 4wheel burn outs to prove it wouldn't blow anything up but again I can't seem to find the right search terms now

I ran the softer comp gears...they lasted a year befotre knife edging all the teeth. However, it wasn't unusual for me to put 50 miles or more on my buggy driving around town or out on a country drive frm time to time. I run the harder ones now, we'll see how long they last.

good to know about the soft gears

Adam - let me think about that detroit, sure would like to have it