• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

9 inch front axle???

Our idea was to find what shafts fit and use the corresponding axle to make it work... So if a 60 is the right axle couldn't I nessicarity find a Dana 60 and use one of the housings and centers we already have for a 9 inch and just put the knuckles on and truss it and have a considerably stronger axle for A relatively low amount of money?

Goatrider said:
Our idea was to find what shafts fit and use the corresponding axle to make it work... So if a 60 is the right axle couldn't I nessicarity find a Dana 60 and use one of the housings and centers we already have for a 9 inch and just put the knuckles on and truss it and have a considerably stronger axle for A relatively low amount of money?

The 9" isn't stronger than a 60. Maybe you meant "considerably lighter".

The only way a front 9" would be stronger than a front 60 is if you run a high dollar 10" gear 3rd member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going custom I woukd call ecgs and talk about the hp 60. I love mine and they can build it to whatever length and tubing thickness you want. I just told them I wanted mine to fit all my lp 60 stuff and it worked flawlessly. The chunk they use has stupid ground clearance

TBItoy said:
The 9" isn't stronger than a 60. Maybe you meant "considerably lighter".

The only way a front 9" would be stronger than a front 60 is if you run a high dollar 10" gear 3rd member.

I meant stronger for the weight, lol

My .02... saving what? 80 lbs? Just guessing....
I'd say run a 60, save a bunch of money n spend it elsewhere....

Heck.... some folks are filling tires w water to gain weight down low....

Isn't that Carlisle a 33" tractor tire?
Those scout axles will be fine with a 35-37" tire assuming you aren't trying to bounce up hills and your buggy is relatively light weight

Aftermarket alloy shafts are available as well

Ok, well thanks everyone!!! The information you've shared is great!!! Hopefully me and dad can come to a conclusion on the front axle lol

Re:

Im talking building your own third. ~$300 for nodular third with pinion support, ~$150 for gears, ~$50 spool, ~$100 install kit. Is it the best, no but itll hold up and isnt crazy $$$.

Which 9 inch centers was Shane Keller using in his Green Buggy, the one Robert Roach bought ??

I got 9" front and full float 9" rear in my s10. They have held up decent beating on them with 40" ltbs and a 4.3 v6. They are Tex Racing 3rd (billet yokes,caps,arp studs, etc) with rcv axles. With that said though I have decided to swap a kingpin 60 and 14 bolt in for ease of parts availability and I believe I bent the short side of my front housing because it's eating seals and hub barley fits in where axle sits off center. I'd definitely recommend a heavy duty housing vs using a factory center like mine were built.
f527da63b124b7af1bc11dc84b867881.jpg
331c9971846e63ac27a8fae3157bcf5f.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk