• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

92 XJ 4.0 problem

Little Red Zuk

So the roommate ran the fuel low on the 92 XJ, then it started having a surge/rough acceleration problem. It idles fine, but when you apply steady throttle, she wants to surge a bit. Did the fuel filter right away, but that didn't cure it. Fuel pressure is about 30lbs at idle, and up to 40-ish under accel. What is the next place to look at?

1992 is ~39 psi regulated (engine running at idle)...Did it get run out of fuel, or just low?

Just ran really low, and there was a bunch of goo that came out of the output side of the fuel filter.

so about 39psi at idle? Might be the pump/pickup then.:mad:

Those are notorious for the hose clamp not being night on the pressure hose as well. I've fixed a couple simply by pulling the pump, tightening the clamp, and put it back together.

Turned out to be a fouled spark plug.:eeek:

Pulled the plugs to see if I could read what the injectors were doing, and one was goobered. Runs fine now. (For now anyway)

I think I'd still have a look at the pump clamp like John mentioned...might be a simple fix to the lower fuel pressure...

Those are notorious for the hose clamp not being night on the pressure hose as well. I've fixed a couple simply by pulling the pump, tightening the clamp, and put it back together.

Quoted for truth. Fixed that one at least three times on various XJ's. Usually it's easy to spot, because the fuel pressure will prime and then quickly drop off after you turn the key to on, depending on how bad the leak is.

My comanche had that issue, old gas had deteriorated the rubber hose so much that it was just barely on the metal fitting. When I tried to check the fuel pressure, it would come up to about 20 when the key was turned on then drop off to almost nothing, then jump around a little while cranking... so I knew that had to be the problem.