• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

93-98 Grand Cherokee

TrailTaco

What do ou guys think about the GC's from 93-98? I was thinking about getting one to do some exploring and to use it as a hunting rig. Nothing fancy maybe some mud tires. Inline six or the V8 would do. Need something with four doors and a little cargo room. Not really gonna be a wheeling rig. How do they hold up? Are the axles good/junk? There are some out there for about 3-5 k, that seem to be in good condition. Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Mark

I had a '96. Apperently a bad year with the v/8. The 4.0 is alot better motor with more torque. The bad thing with mine was the awd. since it was in 4wd all the time it came with cv's up front rather that a u-joint (dana 30's are weak enough as it is) and the front drive line had some sort of P.O.S. cv like a birfield with 6 balls down at the axle end and it was not cheap to replace.

On the good side I owned it for 7 years and only replaced the water pump, alternator, and the oil twice:haha: . Bought it with 57,xxx and sold it with 140,XXX and its still running strong. Keep in mind that I drove the piss out of it and it wouldnt die.

I have a 97 with the 318.

I used to use it for towing. I blew up the crappy D44a rear end.

Aside from minor maintenance (trans mount, seals, brakes, etc) it's been a good rig for me.

Just turned 191K too. Going strong.

Pretty comfy. Everything works except for the passenger side seat heater.

We have a 94 with the 318 and its been a great rig. Other then the tranny puking 2 weeks after we bought it (factory problem) its never had more than standard issues as you will have with any car

We've got a '98 w/ the 4.0L; Been a fantastic rig---Advice to you, get the 4.0L as it has the option of a part time t-case, gets much better mileage:awesomework: ....however the V-8 rigs are overall pretty good for your intentions, they're just a bitch to work on compared to the 4.0L...

Thanks for the input! I think the 4.0L would be fine. I would rather have a part time t-case. I kinda want to get the no frills version( Laredo? ) I don't mind having to do some general maint. on it. Just want it to be reliable enough to get me home.

Mark

Our 98 is a Laredo, and it's far from 'no Frills', doesn't have leather or heated seats, but has pretty much everything else!!

Great rigs for the money! Go 4.0L, 242/231 TC for DD / mild trail rig. V8 if you like to show the 4.0L guys how its done.:awesomework:

i would just avoid the first couple years of the v-8 models.
a v-8 and D35 rear is kinda askin for trouble imo. 44a may not be anything to brag about, but gets a lil more respect then the 35 on the trail.
If you got the $$ go 5.9:awesomework:
Im kinda partial to the older 4.0s, 93-95 made more top end power and you can cut the cat out when it starts rattling, as theres no sensor to trip an engine light....little stuff like that. 94 and newer get you disc brakes all way around if that matters to you.
i love my grand, just wish it sat on a frame:beer: