• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

95 Yj for teenage son's first ride??

offroadwerks

Psalm 23:4
I have found a SUPER clean bone stock ,'95 YJ with 4cyl, 5spd, cold air that seems like it would be a good first ride. Thought me and him could work on it together, like bumpers, cage,lift, wheels/tire etc... What tire size and what lift? I'm thinking a body lift, mainly for ride quality, and some kind of 33" all terrains? Any suggestions or first hand experience w/ 4cyl? Really don't mind that it would be under powered. Not off road but for school and mall crawling.

Re: Re: 95 Yj for teenage son's first ride??

I'd try to find some axles that are already geared/built if I was gonna run any bigger tires than 31s.

My bil has a 91 yj that we put together super cheap (for what it is).

Found some used 4.88 geared arb/Detroit D30(with superiors)/D35 (with super 35 kit) with compressor for $1000. Used np231 with sye,

He bought a new rear dshaft and rough country 4" spring under kit and new shackles to rebuild the suspension.

Put it on some 33" mts on 8" wide wheels, and it drives/rides/flexs ok.

He doesn't really wheel it at all, but its built right for when he wants to, and he's only got like $5k in the whole rig.

I had a 95 with the same specs as you have now.

I would not go over a 31 unless you wanted to regear it. Mine had 235's and it really drug it down and then in summer when the a/c was on it was even worse. Now for around town it was perfect but if you had to run down the highway it struggled. Gas mileage was good with the 4 cyl.

For what I used it for it was one of my favorite vehicles. Drove great, good fuel mileage, with the leaf springs it handled like it was on rails (my TJ has more sway in the corners). Keep it small and lower to the ground for a first vehicle. Let him get a little experience under his belt before you lift it very much. Just my opinion.

I had a 95 YJ that I drove back and forth to college for 4 years and kept it another two yrs after that. I put a fabtech 2.5" lift w/33" duellers, warn bumpers front and rear. Bought a set of 31" **** cepak tires that i put on when I was driving back and forth and put the 33's on in the summer. It was way under powered with the 33's for interstate driving but for daily driving it was great. If i had it to do over again i would have either done a soa conversion or just put a shackle lift just because of the cost factor.

I had a 95 4cyl jeep for my 2nd vehicle.
Loved it!

Had the stock 4.11 gears that came in it and 32's then 33's then to 35's
The motor done fine with the 32 and 33's but 35's killed it.

I dont kno what people really expect out of a jeep when they are saying it didnt have power with 32 or 33's?????? its a jeep not a sports car.

I would suggest 3" body lift and 32/12.5/15 and will still ride good and be stable. :dblthumb:

Mine was my daily driver for a few years until it went to 42's.
Yes to start with it still had the 4cyl with 42's and 4.56 gears in the.......wait for it.......1/2 ton upgraded axles molaugh
I drove it around in 4low with the hubs unlocked :****:

Later came the 1tons and 350 :driving:

My first ride was a 97 TJ. 4cyl 5spd got her with 95k on the ticker. I worked my tail off all summer before junior year of highschool bought a 4.5" rubicon express kit and 33" bfgs. Me and a few friends did the lift in my garage in a night. drove it to a Tires Plus the next morning and had her aligned. Death wobblin the whole way.

lots of things happened to that jeep over the years. went through that 4cyl and one more before I put a 4liter in, ax15 and a rubi 241. Finally had a d44 rear super 30 front 4.56 gears and went like hell on a short arm kit. Wish i still had that thing, by this time I like to think it would have a v8 one tons and 42s lol

Budget YJ said:
I had a 95 4cyl jeep for my 2nd vehicle.
Loved it!

Had the stock 4.11 gears that came in it and 32's then 33's then to 35's
The motor done fine with the 32 and 33's but 35's killed it.

I dont kno what people really expect out of a jeep when they are saying it didnt have power with 32 or 33's?????? its a jeep not a sports car.

I would suggest 3" body lift and 32/12.5/15 and will still ride good and be stable. :dblthumb:

Mine was my daily driver for a few years until it went to 42's.
Yes to start with it still had the 4cyl with 42's and 4.56 gears in the.......wait for it.......1/2 ton upgraded axles molaugh
I drove it around in 4low with the hubs unlocked :****:

Later came the 1tons and 350 :driving:

I would never put a 3" bl on a jeep. For one, that's a lot of stress on the bl bolts. Immagine what would happen if you got into a reck. The body might keep on and no. Not to mention that would look silly.

Mortalis5509 said:
I would never put a 3" bl on a jeep. For one, that's a lot of stress on the bl bolts. Immagine what would happen if you got into a reck. The body might keep on and no. Not to mention that would look silly.

x2 every wrecked truck I've seen with a tall body lift breaks/rips the bolts out and the body separates from the frame.

3" BL is gay also.

It'll probably need (or could use) new bushings/shocks anyway, and a cheap spring under kit is easy and will still drive good.

Dont do a body lift. I know where a wagoneer d44 front is cheap! Then find a early bronco ford 9inch. Spring it over using stock front wagoneer springs on front and rear. Then some 35s

Mortalis5509 said:

molaugh

Got compliments on it the whole time I had it.
Most all jeeps you see have some sort of body lift.

TBItoy said:
x2 every wrecked truck I've seen with a tall body lift breaks/rips the bolts out and the body separates from the frame.

3" BL is gay also.

It'll probably need (or could use) new bushings/shocks anyway, and a cheap spring under kit is easy and will still drive good.

Its not a truck............its a jeep.
I dont like a body lift on a truck :****:

The cheap spring under kit will ride like a 2 horse wagon.......been there done that :puke:

smurfy90 said:
Dont do a body lift. I know where a wagoneer d44 front is cheap! Then find a early bronco ford 9inch. Spring it over using stock front wagoneer springs on front and rear. Then some 35s

I would never do a spring over kit for my sons 1st,2nd or 3rd street jeep.
Thats a minimum of about 6" lift and to top heavy for a 1st ride.
Plus you end up with death wooble and rigged up steering.

If it was a off-road only rig I would be all for spring over but we are talking a daily driver for his son.

I still say 3" body lift and 32 or 33/12.5/15
The 33" will rub with people in the back.
I will try to dig up some old pics of it.

Re: Re: Re: 95 Yj for teenage son's first ride??

Budget YJ said:
molaugh

Got compliments on it the whole time I had it.
Most all jeeps you see have some sort of body lift.

Its not a truck............its a jeep.
I dont like a body lift on a truck :****:

The cheap spring under kit will ride like a 2 horse wagon.......been there done that :puke:

I would never do a spring over kit for my sons 1st,2nd or 3rd street jeep.
Thats a minimum of about 6" lift and to top heavy for a 1st ride.
Plus you end up with death wooble and rigged up steering.

If it was a off-road only rig I would be all for spring over but we are talking a daily driver for his son.

I still say 3" body lift and 32 or 33/12.5/15
The 33" will rub with people in the back.
I will try to dig up some old pics of it.
My smaller tj has a 1.25" bl. I'm not opposed to them but larger ones I am. I have on my Rubicon to help clear the large Rubicon transfer case on my tummy tuck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2