• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 jeep YJ problem

Ed Bister

my buddy and i are trying to get his jeep going and it sems to blow the fuel system fuse after he revs it up to 3 grand. it's blowing a 30amp fuse. I'm not a jeep guy and i know there are a ton of you out there that live this **** and i need your help!!

What should i check first? fuel pump relay? fuel pump? I really think it's the fuel pump that is shorted out! 30 amps is alot of current/amps! has anyone seen this before where a 4 cyl motor shuts down at 3000 RPM.....this is weird!

thanks for any help you guys can give me!:awesomework:

First you need to double check that year. They didn't make a 96 jeep or a 96 YJ. 95 was the last year for the YJ, 97 was the first year for a TJ.

Check your fuel pressure at idle? There is a schrader valver on the fuel rail. If the pressure is low, then probably your fuel pump, do a filter change too is so.

It COULD be a Canadian '96 YJ.

I think you're on the right track, sounds like the fuel pump is drawing excessively. Swap out a relay, they're cheap.... if it still does it, it sounds like it's in the tank.

If it's the pump, and the rig IS a YJ, I have an OE pump brand new sitting here that I'd make you a SMOKING deal on, I bought it, customer bailed, it was a special order so I can't return it.

And I drive right past your house every day, Mike (Horus) rents from me and says he was over there partying the other night. :D

John

See if someone you know has an amp clamp...hook it around the power feed circuit to the pump & check to see what current its drawing as you rev the engine----

It COULD be a Canadian '96 YJ.

I think you're on the right track, sounds like the fuel pump is drawing excessively. Swap out a relay, they're cheap.... if it still does it, it sounds like it's in the tank.

If it's the pump, and the rig IS a YJ, I have an OE pump brand new sitting here that I'd make you a SMOKING deal on, I bought it, customer bailed, it was a special order so I can't return it.

And I drive right past your house every day, Mike (Horus) rents from me and says he was over there partying the other night. :D

John

Perfect!! This jeep is only like 10 house's down from yours....LOL!! his jeep is right by that mud pit they just blocked off buy the school...small freekin world! thanks so much for the advice!!

See if someone you know has an amp clamp...hook it around the power feed circuit to the pump & check to see what current its drawing as you rev the engine----

good idea!! i was thinking removing the fuse and pluging in my amp meter inline with the circuit to see what was happening.

Thanks for the help guys! i will try these things and get back to you all:awesomework: