• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 chevy 4x4 fouling plug #5 plug (Crash)

ICEHAWK

I just got the truck last week and when I drove it I thought it need a tune up. but come to find out that #5 plug was bad.

would the intake cause this?
what about the oil? it has 5w-30 and the truck has 147,000
should I change the oil to 10w-40?

please help, has this happen to people

it is a 5.7

can post pics of the plug later

just to add the truck does smoke at all.

Last edited:
what fouled the plug? need to know what color the it is..to figure out why it fouled..are you sure the plug wire is good? pictures would be a huge help here..

Here are the issues I have found with that Vortec motor.

1. Intake seeping oil into the intake
  2. Valve guide problem
  3. Ring/cylinder issue
The only way to truely know is add dye to the rig, run it and then tear the intake off.

would the intake cause this too?
would ring or valve go bad at 130k? it seem odd that they would.
I cuess that Im use to Toyota. HAHAHHAHA

Last edited:
what would you chagre to fix the intake for me Crash? and look at it for me?

Allot :redneck: But I am booked up for a while

Check to make sure you have spark on that hole and compression first....

The first step would be to look at the plug and see exactly how its fouled. There are a few factors in how that can help determin the next step to take.

can I send you a pic by text today? I have it and will check the one that I put in a week ago when I get home from work

Allot :redneck: But I am booked up for a while

The first step would be to look at the plug and see exactly how its fouled. There are a few factors in how that can help determin the next step to take.

Well i agree the plug will tell you all about that combustion chamber. But i wasnt sure if the plug was replaced and the truck ran fine or what the deal was. It's not that hard to check fuel, spark and compression. Pretty good start if you ask me. The three test can tell you alot.

Last edited:
I got your picture Patric. Thats definately oil. It could be valve seals (more than not it is) but typicly to foul out that quickly its more of a guide issue.

Valve seals can be put on with the valve covers pulled. Its a little tricky of a process and requires some special tooling but it can be done. But at that time the guides can be "roughly" checked for excessive play.

Quick Question....

(note the use of a title!:redneck::haha::haha:)
If you pull and plug off the PCV hose from the valve, and remove the oil filler cap, does it puff smoke out the cap hole when running??? IF so, may be deeper than just valve guides/seals...just a thought...:D

Latest posts