• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 jeep thumps (HELP!!!)

RCYJ

alright guys went up and did some night wheelin last night in my 97 tj and on my way back as i stop at stop signs and start to accelerate (in 2wd) there is a clunking coming from under drivers seat.
i first though it was my drive line and my u-joints but everything is normal with my u joints.

also when i put my t-case in 4 wheel drive the clunking stops.
any ideas?
i am not looking for any reply's that say throw out you np-231 and....
just what you think it might be.
thanks!

Thump under the drivers seat when you accel..... I'd check your control arms, make sure the bolts are tight and the bushings have not fallen apart. Maybe check your tranny mount also.

when i accelerate from a stop yes but when i accelerate after shifting gears no. also i dose not do it in 4 wheel drive that is why i have ruled out bushings but ill take a look at them just to be double safe on my break.

when i accelerate from a stop yes but when i accelerate after shifting gears no. also i dose not do it in 4 wheel drive that is why i have ruled out bushings but ill take a look at them just to be double safe on my break.

Pull up on your t-case shifter when you take off. Leave it in 2wd, but pull up on it. See if it does it still.:corn:

Is it lifted? If so, do you have an SYE on the T-Case? May also be T-Case shifter noise.....[/QUOTE

it is lifted 4" and i do have an sye on the rear it has a cv on the front. what do you mean by shifter noise?
gotcha sorry i am one step behind ya. so just pull on it while it is in the 2wd location and keep it there?
ill give it a shot thanks!

Last edited:
oh ya... so...... i called in to work after lunch and took the rest of the day off.
i took the rig down to a family friends transmission shop to see if he could order the kit that was suppose to be like 40 bucks. well i took him for a drive and i didn't have him convinced... so after some diagnostic work we pulled my rear diff cover off... oh my god wanna talk about a grenade... every thing was either chipped sheered or pitted. so now i have all new gears and shafts with possie(spell check?) .... about $850 in parts not the $40.
great day
Just
Emptied
Every
Pocket
and bank account lol

Shoulda thrown a 8.8 in it, woulda been cheaper...

ya i know i was actually looking at one earlier today before i new what the problem was... then after we figured it out i just needed to get the damn thing rolling again so that's what happened. but i still came out better then i was when i bough the jeep.

ya i know i was actually looking at one earlier today before i new what the problem was... then after we figured it out i just needed to get the damn thing rolling again so that's what happened. but i still came out better then i was when i bough the jeep.

Man....I was WAAAAYYYYY off. Sorry for the mis-diagnosis. Glad you figured it out.:awesomework: Kinda hard to diagnose something over the internet.:;

Man....I was WAAAAYYYYY off. Sorry for the mis-diagnosis. Glad you figured it out.:awesomework: Kinda hard to diagnose something over the internet.:;

hey man no worries i still learned what some other common problems are so i can keep a watch out for them. thanks for the help!

Latest posts