• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

98 12v cummins

budgetxj

just bought a 12v cummins, need to know what simple mods i can do to it. Its an auto tranny so nothing to crazy yet. Ive heard turn up the fuel pump, new fuel plate and exhaust/intake. Anything else?

i understand the egt but is the boost gage necesary if im not changing the turbo? what kinda numbers will it increase with those mods. what are you guys getting for fuel economy.

i understand the egt but is the boost gage necesary if im not changing the turbo? what kinda numbers will it increase with those mods. what are you guys getting for fuel economy.

It helps with tuning and most pillar pods have two or more gauge pods. I got 15 MPG towing down to portland going 70 and towing my heavy pig of a rig. Go to NWbombers.com and dieseltruckresource.com and read up, you'll be busy for days.

First thing that I would do (if it has not been done) is the KDP.
After that be very careful with the auto trans, mine has over 150 on the stock trans. Another thing to think about is opening up the exhaust.

4 inch exhaust turbo back streight pipe it:awesomework:
First thing that I would do (if it has not been done) is the KDP.
After that be very careful with the auto trans, mine has over 150 on the stock trans. Another thing to think about is opening up the exhaust.
pyro,trans temp,boost gauges a must!!!
buy and EGT and a boost gauge first.

KDP, gauges, exhaust and an intake.. Screw even thinking about the rest of it until you can afford a tranny. Cause it won't last with anything turned up for very long. I have a fuel plate you can try out when you want to though. But it'll toast your tranny.

its real easy to get power out of a 12 valve, the 47 re tranny sucks ass unless you dump a ton of dough into it, lenny at dynomite diesle is the guy to go see , some of my buddys are putting out assanine dyno numbers.. but they are running spendy transsmissions, ive fried mine once already although it was part abuse , smoking off the granpa tires and part hard use, towing excavators and gravel,
id like to get the cam plate, its only 600 bucks or so , installed and tuned and you can get huge power increases... and fry pistons of you dont have a egt gauge, but hell im not going to spend 5 grand on a bd tranny, so ill just rattle on till the body falls off

so you say a good trans is 5k, is that the going rate for a trans thats gonna be able to last.Is it the trans or the torque converter? If i do the fuel plate and turn up the pump most likely the trans wont make it?

no, a decent trans without shafts is low to mid 3k range.. With shafts it's a little over 5k.. depending on what kind of power you want, and what you want to do with the truck, will determine what you have done to the tranny..

And for the love of GOD, (I can't believe a guy who mentioned DDP would also mention getting a BD in the same post) DON'T GO BD!!

this truck is gonna be for towing for now. Planning on putting a 24ft enclosed behind it with the wheeler in it. So probably wont need the new shafts in the tranny but i also dont want anything going wrong when im pulling up some of the passes in cali. Will look into all the mods a little more closely until i put a good trans in. Thanks guys

They say that for towing, an output shaft is needed. Again depending on power. But if you ever plan to drag race for fun on any given weekend. An input shaft is a must for the higher boosted launches. The output shaft you can put in at any time, it's a piece of cake. But for the input shaft, you have to take the tranny and rip it apart to install the shaft. So it's a lot more money to install it after the fact. Unlike the output shaft. And most people don't need the intermediate shaft.

upgrade the tranny.

my buddy just lost his tranny or part of it,and his truck is a 98 dually. he thinks that he lost the rear tail shaft.now he just have to get it home.

hahaha, harsh !, i got nut slapped for even mentioning bd, like i said im running stock junk, cant even get out of its own way , but tows my rig and tools just fine
could have sworn he was getting those trannys a few years ago, but .. i drink alot of beer so im not sticking to it, i looked into pumping mine a while back, then didnt ,not trying to endorse any product i havent had any experiance with,
i have had my rig into ddp a couple times and was happy with them, and ive driven my buddys dually that is retarded fast that they did all the work on :beer: