• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

98 Dodge pick up seat belt issue

Mrs. Crash

Administrator
So my Dad's seatbelts quit working in his truck. He called Dodge and asked about it. The first time they told him there was some module under the seats that probably quit working since both went out. They told him to get in the truck, open one door and see if that made a difference. Didn't seem to help.

Michael said he had no idea what the guy was talking about. knew nothing about some module.

He kinda let it go a while since he's got another truck. Called back today to try and get something set up and this guy said "no, I dont know what he was talking about, it's just the retracter in the seat"

So it's about $115 per seat belt to purchase and he has to order them since they don't stock them.

They he said it would be about $135-140 per side to install. So just under $500. and it would have to be there half a day or so.

Does this sound right??

Get one at wrecking yard for $20-$40

And have husband install for free.

OR Have husband trouble shoot it and FIX the present belts for FREE.

If it was an RC axle or transmission that was 30 times more complicated, he could figure it out.

Its your job to find the correct way to motivate YOUR mechanic. :;

Get one at wrecking yard for $20-$40

And have husband install for free.

OR Have husband trouble shoot it and FIX the present belts for FREE.

If it was an RC axle or transmission that was 30 times more complicated, he could figure it out.

Its your job to find the correct way to motivate YOUR mechanic. :;

Never buy a belt from a yard there is too much liability to an item thats supposed to save your life...

Even places like highway auto wont sell them. Too much liability. They said you have to get it through the dealer.

He went out today to get the vin number to order the parts and they pulled right out. Michaels assuming maybe cause of a previous leak, too much moisture got down in there.

They worked today, but who knows if they will work again tomorrow.

And my Dad would rather just pay someone to do the work, then wait for Michael to help. So no need to motivate :;

To me, it sounds really odd that both seat belt pretensioners would go bad. One, sure, but not both at the same time, unless it was airbag related.

Being a 98, I'm sure it has at least a drivers airbag. If it has airbags, then it has an airbag control module (which I would assume is the control module they mentioned), and it may not apply to this truck, but newer cars have an explosive in the seat belt pretensioners that locks the seatbelts when you are in a wreck. When this type deploys, they are done, and have to be replaced (I don't know of any that are savable). These are different than the type that all cars have, which lock when the seat belt gets pulled fast, or you're on an incline, or things like that. Those just return to normal use when the pressure is released.

I suppose if something happened to the control module, it could have set off the seat belts, if it is even equips with that style of belt (I have no clue when they came out.

That is some some food for thought I guess.

To me, it sounds really odd that both seat belt pretensioners would go bad. One, sure, but not both at the same time, unless it was airbag related.

Being a 98, I'm sure it has at least a drivers airbag. If it has airbags, then it has an airbag control module (which I would assume is the control module they mentioned), and it may not apply to this truck, but newer cars have an explosive in the seat belt pretensioners that locks the seatbelts when you are in a wreck. When this type deploys, they are done, and have to be replaced (I don't know of any that are savable). These are different than the type that all cars have, which lock when the seat belt gets pulled fast, or you're on an incline, or things like that. Those just return to normal use when the pressure is released.

I suppose if something happened to the control module, it could have set off the seat belts, if it is even equips with that style of belt (I have no clue when they came out.

That is some some food for thought I guess.

He had a water leak from the 3rd brake lamp and I suspect its because of the moisture in the truck. It hardly gets driven so it sits allot and I think that was the factor.

Could it be just a dirty pendulum? On Jeep belts (TJ) I have to clean them once in a while as the dirt/mud clogs them up as they are the lowest part of the belt tensioner.

The cap on a TJ is just on the side of the belt tensioner and comes off with 3 screws. Once cover is off I just blow out the gunk with compressed air.

As far as shop price though....does not sound bad. I dont go to shops so what do I know though.

Over the years I have pulled a number of them apart and cleaned and WD40 them and most work fine. The "dirty/gummed up pendulum/mechanism" has been the issue 95% of the ones I have fixed (tried to fix).

Over the years I have pulled a number of them apart and cleaned and WD40 them and most work fine. The "dirty/gummed up pendulum/mechanism" has been the issue 95% of the ones I have fixed (tried to fix).
Oh good. Solvent on seat belt mechanisms.